Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Apparent new requirement for tempoary renewals

  1. #11
    Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well now my cedula expired on the same day. Previously I had just shown my Florida license and it was fine. But that expired also last month. I have to drive and have valid insurance already.

    I plan on just going down there and bringing the papers I will need.

    But I just cant believe that I have to pay for the incompetence of the government or because some idiot decides to change the process on their own, and that somebody on this board thinks I should just accept it.

  2. #12
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    3,896
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonchi View Post
    It seams the goal posts have been moved again.

    I submitted the online renewal and was asked to submit the FBI background check paperwork with apostle from when I obtained the original visa. This originals were kept by the Dominican consulate and the company doing the checks cannot legally keep a copy longer than 30 days. Now of course there is no way to get a new one unless you return to the states and obtain a new check.

    Same thing for the birth certificate.

    One thing that delayed my original application two weeks ago was that I had not included the back of the cedula and the residency card. Of course the application was just denied.
    No reason you just told us the reason. You hadn't chosen to make a copy of the back of the cards as required. WHy you say that and then say no reason is beyond my power of reason.
    Der Fish

  3. #13
    Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    HUH ???? It was my fault for not making a copy of the back. I posted that for other people to understand because I had not seen that before.

    The reason my renewal is being denied now is because of some idiots requiring something that is no longer relevant or required. What good is a 2 year old FBI check??? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.... Just because the idiots at DGM cant operate a scanner shouldn't make me pay over $1000 jumping through that hoop to get a new one. DONT YOU GET THAT ????

  4. #14
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Expat13 View Post
    In your case the overstay option may be best, but if you plan to drive here with a license and want insurance to be valid your options are residency.
    I have previously stated this but will once more. I have a vehicle, with insurance and filed and had a claim paid out. I own land here with all the legal paperwork down. If people want to go through the process of getting residency good for them but until it is really necessary I'll stick to the overstay fees.

  5. #15
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    466
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    There is only so much idiocy and inconvenience I am prepared to endure. If renewing residency means regular trips home, I'll just leave. I am not enamored enough with La Republica to accept that degree of a paper chase. I have options and am not afraid to pick a different one.
    Has anyone even tried entering the US as a visitor and being forced to wait in line for hours and hours and then subjected to the most stupid questions that anyone can think of? Dominican immigration is a walk in the park compared to the US. And there are so many scumbags who they have let in, I am delighted that they are making it a little harder and getting a bit more organised.

  6. #16
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    466
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garyexpat View Post
    I have previously stated this but will once more. I have a vehicle, with insurance and filed and had a claim paid out. I own land here with all the legal paperwork down. If people want to go through the process of getting residency good for them but until it is really necessary I'll stick to the overstay fees.
    You can only drive on a foreign driving licence for 3 months, that's the law. If you have been here for more than 3 months and you're driving, your insurance won't be valid. If you got lucky in one accident because they didn't notice, I don't think you should be advising other people to do this as there could be really serious consequences if they seriously injured someone and were driving with no insurance.

  7. #17
    Moderator - Central Forum
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    When dealing with immigration make extra copies of EVERYTHING, and have them with you at any meetings with immigration.

    With my first Dominican wife we were given a list of what they may ask for at a meeting.
    Sure enough they asked for a copy of a document that was not on the list.

    I told them she would not be there if she had not had that document, they said they know that, but they wanted to see a copy anyway.

    Since I made copies of EVERYTHING and always carried them to all meetings, we were good to go.
    ..........Moderator

    The Clown Bin / Central

  8. #18
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garyexpat View Post
    I have previously stated this but will once more. I have a vehicle, with insurance and filed and had a claim paid out. I own land here with all the legal paperwork down. If people want to go through the process of getting residency good for them but until it is really necessary I'll stick to the overstay fees.
    Since you don't have a legal license to drive in the DR after a tourist card expires, you were lucky. Hardly a reason anyone should follow your lead.

  9. #19
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    16,593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Gary Ex

    was your experience before or after the new regulations were introduced ?

    i.e. since the enforcement changed

  10. #20
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How fair is it that Haitians are deported, yet people from other countries as illegal aliens can still pay an exit fee?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO