Apparent new requirement for tempoary renewals

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
It seams the goal posts have been moved again.

I submitted the online renewal and was asked to submit the FBI background check paperwork with apostle from when I obtained the original visa. This originals were kept by the Dominican consulate and the company doing the checks cannot legally keep a copy longer than 30 days. Now of course there is no way to get a new one unless you return to the states and obtain a new check.

Same thing for the birth certificate.

One thing that delayed my original application two weeks ago was that I had not included the back of the cedula and the residency card. Of course the application was just denied and no reason given. TYPICAL.

There was also a popup screen which I didn't understand but it seams if you want your online application to be processed faster, that will be another 5000 pesos.

Feb 7, 2007
I think it'snotba new requirement, but looks like they cannot locate your originals from your original file.

It was explained to me that with the new system, the manually check old files for consistency, and if there is something missing or inconsistent in the original file, they request it again.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I await with trepidation to see if anyone else has this problem. What a nightmare if they start making you return to your country every year!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There is only so much idiocy and inconvenience I am prepared to endure. If renewing residency means regular trips home, I'll just leave. I am not enamored enough with La Republica to accept that degree of a paper chase. I have options and am not afraid to pick a different one.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There is only so much idiocy and inconvenience I am prepared to endure. If renewing residency means regular trips home, I'll just leave. I am not enamored enough with La Republica to accept that degree of a paper chase. I have options and am not afraid to pick a different one.

Yep that is why I became a citizen. No more hassles no more renewals .

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

You could of course pay overstay fees when you leave. Left for the states a week ago, paid my 4000RD and continued on my way. Took all of 5 minutes and I was leaving with a brand spanking new passport. I had my old one for them to reference my last entry but she just looked in the system and billed me off of that.
The day may well come when they force me to have residency but until that time comes along it's all about the overstay fees for me.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
No reasons given?

Just want to comment on one thing.

When a Dominican goes to the US embassy to apply for a visa a gets denied then there is No Reason given as well. 

People should not just complain, like in the other post... When does police starts checking a night motos for taillights... ??? I guess this will happen when they will start stop most gringos here for DUI.

Compare the DR to other countries and you will be happy.

Wish everybody a nice weekend.

I submitted the online renewal and was asked to submit the FBI background check paperwork with apostle from when I obtained the original visa. This originals were kept by the Dominican consulate and the company doing the checks cannot legally keep a copy longer than 30 days. Now of course there is no way to get a new one unless you return to the states and obtain a new check.

One thing that delayed my original application two weeks ago was that I had not included the back of the cedula and the residency card. Of course the application was just denied and no reason given. TYPICAL.

There was also a popup screen which I didn't understand but it seams if you want your online application to be processed faster, that will be another 5000 pesos.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
  People should not just complain, .....Compare the DR to other countries and you will be happy.

Very nice thought and I agree with you. Most people are still kind and pacient.
Thank you webmacon.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Just want to comment on one thing.

When a Dominican goes to the US embassy to apply for a visa a gets denied then there is No Reason given as well. 

People should not just complain, like in the other post... When does police starts checking a night motos for taillights... ??? I guess this will happen when they will start stop most gringos here for DUI.

Compare the DR to other countries and you will be happy.

REALLY... SHOULD NOT COMPLAIN?

When they ask for 2 year old documents nobody ever told you to save and nobody else here has been required to show, that would cost over $1000 to return to the states to get a new one.. That's not a reason to complain???

It seams that you must work for the DGM to say such a stupid thing.

Dominicans get denied visas because they cant prove hey will return to DR. Its that simple. There is no comparison.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
You could of course pay overstay fees when you leave. Left for the states a week ago, paid my 4000RD and continued on my way. Took all of 5 minutes and I was leaving with a brand spanking new passport. I had my old one for them to reference my last entry but she just looked in the system and billed me off of that.
The day may well come when they force me to have residency but until that time comes along it's all about the overstay fees for me.

In your case the overstay option may be best, but if you plan to drive here with a license and want insurance to be valid your options are residency.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Well now my cedula expired on the same day. Previously I had just shown my Florida license and it was fine. But that expired also last month. I have to drive and have valid insurance already.

I plan on just going down there and bringing the papers I will need.

But I just cant believe that I have to pay for the incompetence of the government or because some idiot decides to change the process on their own, and that somebody on this board thinks I should just accept it.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

One thing that delayed my original application two weeks ago was that I had not included the back of the cedula and the residency card. Of course the application was just denied.
No reason you just told us the reason. You hadn't chosen to make a copy of the back of the cards as required. WHy you say that and then say no reason is beyond my power of reason.
Der Fish

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
HUH ???? It was my fault for not making a copy of the back. I posted that for other people to understand because I had not seen that before.

The reason my renewal is being denied now is because of some idiots requiring something that is no longer relevant or required. What good is a 2 year old FBI check??? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.... Just because the idiots at DGM cant operate a scanner shouldn't make me pay over $1000 jumping through that hoop to get a new one. DONT YOU GET THAT ????

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
In your case the overstay option may be best, but if you plan to drive here with a license and want insurance to be valid your options are residency.

I have previously stated this but will once more. I have a vehicle, with insurance and filed and had a claim paid out. I own land here with all the legal paperwork down. If people want to go through the process of getting residency good for them but until it is really necessary I'll stick to the overstay fees.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013

Has anyone even tried entering the US as a visitor and being forced to wait in line for hours and hours and then subjected to the most stupid questions that anyone can think of? Dominican immigration is a walk in the park compared to the US. And there are so many scumbags who they have let in, I am delighted that they are making it a little harder and getting a bit more organised.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I have previously stated this but will once more. I have a vehicle, with insurance and filed and had a claim paid out. I own land here with all the legal paperwork down. If people want to go through the process of getting residency good for them but until it is really necessary I'll stick to the overstay fees.

You can only drive on a foreign driving licence for 3 months, that's the law. If you have been here for more than 3 months and you're driving, your insurance won't be valid. If you got lucky in one accident because they didn't notice, I don't think you should be advising other people to do this as there could be really serious consequences if they seriously injured someone and were driving with no insurance.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
When dealing with immigration make extra copies of EVERYTHING, and have them with you at any meetings with immigration.

With my first Dominican wife we were given a list of what they may ask for at a meeting.
Sure enough they asked for a copy of a document that was not on the list.

I told them she would not be there if she had not had that document, they said they know that, but they wanted to see a copy anyway.

Since I made copies of EVERYTHING and always carried them to all meetings, we were good to go.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Since you don't have a legal license to drive in the DR after a tourist card expires, you were lucky. Hardly a reason anyone should follow your lead.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gary Ex

was your experience before or after the new regulations were introduced ?

i.e. since the enforcement changed

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How fair is it that Haitians are deported, yet people from other countries as illegal aliens can still pay an exit fee?