Motos with no damn lights.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
When will the police start setting up road blocks at night between Cabarete - Sosua - Puerto Plata to check for real functioning lights. This includes a red (not white LED) in the rear and a head light focused on the ground not a Super bright LED bank focused to blind oncoming motorists 500 yards away. These LED light banks are the new cafre status symbol in DR. Idiots buy anything shiny.
Last night some dimwit with a passenger did a U-turn with no lights near Cangrejo and I nearly T-boned them. Then 5 minutes later near the airport some retard in all black and no tail light was driving slow and not along the edge like normal but right in the middle of the lane. I was almost up his butt before I saw him.
Please PN start setting up light checks and confiscate motos with no lights. Then they will start to fix them.
Last thing I want to do is kill or hurt a young man, even though some act like they want to be removed from the gene pool.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

sicknote

Jun 9, 2009
what you need is a super LED lightbar, not so you can blind oncoming traffic , its so you can see the brainless dimwhits,,sorry I mean dumtw@s with no rear lights on,,,,,,,,its for your own safety not theirs,,,,cos they know you hit them,,, its lottery time

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As mentioned by others driving at night is risky. The decision to drive after dark needs to be carefully considered based on absolute need to do so as many of the hazardous situations you could encounter are beyond your control and ability to anticipate.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I wrote about it a few years ago, but I came within 10' of killing 3 on a moto...in the dark...all dressed in black...black pasola...no lights...on the autopista...in the driving rain...in the middle of the left lane.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
I wrote about it a few years ago, but I came within 10' of killing 3 on a moto...in the dark...all dressed in black...black pasola...no lights...on the autopista...in the driving rain...in the middle of the left lane.

Sounds like it would have been concluded to be your fault.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Sounds like it would have been concluded to be your fault.
That's my fear - you are hauled into court or jail, extorted because you are gringo. So I will curtail some night driving but I do like short hops for dinner.
Just wish they would get the broken motos off the roads. A 20 year old moron can spend 6500 pesos for a LED light bar for his moto but not 65 pesos for a rear bulb. So he values the "show" over his life.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The light bar is self defense for times I get caught out at night. Day time driving is terrible but night time is way worse. The last thing you want to do here is be involved in a fatal accident. Other option is get a Dominican to drive. It's just a regular old accident for them, no big deal. I married a Dominican so I have a built in night time driver and my super bright light bar let's me see all the near misses so I no longer have to ask, did you see that, or what was that?

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
This is a serious problem and this is something I believe the police should never overlook. It is a SERIOUS risk. Example, my GF's cousin who's a truck driver was driving home one night from work and killed a man and his child because his motorcycle didn't have a light. I don't drive personally because of my eyes, but imagine mixing a person with vision close to mine driving at night un the DR.. Not good.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Iwas driving between POP and Sosua about Gran Parada when I came around that corner there were 2 trucks comg at me side by side, so I swerved to the right. There was a moto without any lights going about 20 or so and i hit him, he didn't go down, just wobbled. I stopped him and gave him 1000 pesos and told him to buy either arear light or a coffin, because if he wanted to commit suicide I didn't wish to participate!
Der Fish

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
When will the police start setting up road blocks at night between Cabarete - Sosua - Puerto Plata to check for real functioning lights. This includes a red (not white LED) in the rear and a head light focused on the ground not a Super bright LED bank focused to blind oncoming motorists 500 yards away. These LED light banks are the new cafre status symbol in DR. Idiots buy anything shiny.
Last night some dimwit with a passenger did a U-turn with no lights near Cangrejo and I nearly T-boned them. Then 5 minutes later near the airport some retard in all black and no tail light was driving slow and not along the edge like normal but right in the middle of the lane. I was almost up his butt before I saw him.
Please PN start setting up light checks and confiscate motos with no lights. Then they will start to fix them.
Last thing I want to do is kill or hurt a young man, even though some act like they want to be removed from the gene pool.

Does AMET ever set up road blocks to check for lights at night? Does AMET even work at night? IF AMET wanted to check lights they could do it just fine in the day time. Lights do not seem to be much interest to AMET. I would not expect anything to change in a lifetime regarding highway safety here. Dominicans accept what is going on as the norm.
I find it very interesting how they are amused at really close calls on motos, almost as if they have no idea how much it will hurt. My brother in law was hit by a bus on his moto and nearly died. While in the hospital he was born again and promised Jesus to never drink and drive again. We have the video and laugh about it from time to time. The relationship with Jesus lasted until he was released from the hospital and drove to the nearest colmado for a cold one. The moto still ran.

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
The light bar is self defense for times I get caught out at night.

Perhaps it's just me, but I find this to be just as bad or worse when I'm driving into it.

It 'most' cases it is blinding, and can take a long time for my eyes to readjust. I've been a passenger as well a few times where they nearly drove into the oncoming lane for this reason.

However, if they're pointed sufficiently down or dimmed when traffic is incoming, then no problem.

As for my moto, I'll be doing a rewiring tomorrow as well since I've just had some minor electrical issues, including the tail light.

Weee!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's hard to swear off driving at night here seeing that in the winter it's pitch black at 7 pm. i do it if i have to but i cannot see well (myopia). on the main roads it's probably best to stay close behind metro/caribe. the drivers know every corner and every hole and will guide you well.

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003
Perhaps it's just me, but I find this to be just as bad or worse when I'm driving into it.

It 'most' cases it is blinding, and can take a long time for my eyes to readjust. I've been a passenger as well a few times where they nearly drove into the oncoming lane for this reason.

However, if they're pointed sufficiently down or dimmed when traffic is incoming, then no problem.

As for my moto, I'll be doing a rewiring tomorrow as well since I've just had some minor electrical issues, including the tail light.

Weee!

I have started wearing these yellow tinted glasses whilst driving at night in Santo Domingo. It makes all the difference.
The idiots with their stadium lighting would blind me and I wouldn't be able to see for minutes afterwards.
Now they still annoy me, but I can still see and am not blind anymore after they have passed me.