fabian cake shop on roberto pastoriza

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Google maps says permanently closed.

I pass rather often that part of Roberto pastoriza and I've never seen the place.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i figured as much from my search but wanted to ask the locals anyways.
wonder why it closed. was the product not good? bad location?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i figured as much from my search but wanted to ask the locals anyways.
wonder why it closed. was the product not good? bad location?

i dont think there is a mass market in the DR for high quality baked goods. you participate in the art, so you know how expensive it gets. one of the guys at my bank had a birthday recently, and i baked him a chocolate fudge cake...super moist. nobody in his circles had ever eaten anything like it before, and they could not stop raving , but there was no interest in me baking one to order. next time they eat cake, it will be a 25 peso slice from the neighborhood panaderia.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a market for high quality baked goods, especially in SD. even in santiago campana sells really good products and the prices are not even throat cut. but running a bakery is more than selling cakes so i wondered whether the failure was the product itself or was it business/family related.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
there is a market for high quality baked goods, especially in SD. even in santiago campana sells really good products and the prices are not even throat cut. but running a bakery is more than selling cakes so i wondered whether the failure was the product itself or was it business/family related.

yes, i know about the stuff from Campagna. i usually get me a loaf of their pan de leche, which is wonderful. i am sure it is not hard to bake, but you cannot get it in POP because bakers know that they cant sell it at a profit, because people dont want anything more expensive than pan de agua.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
different cities different markets. but SD has plenty of people willing to fork out money for superior goods. and pictures/descriptions of fabian's goods that i saw in hoy were not bad.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
different cities different markets. but SD has plenty of people willing to fork out money for superior goods. and pictures/descriptions of fabian's goods that i saw in hoy were not bad.

Agreed. I will have to ask my sisters-in-laws where they buy the goodies they bring to our house. Very good. I'm not crazy about the icing on some of them though, I think it's marshmellow????

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Yep, I agree. I have seen some pretty impressive cakes here.

Gotta remember that natives with money are some of the most demanding and stress to impress personalities around.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Agreed. I will have to ask my sisters-in-laws where they buy the goodies they bring to our house. Very good. I'm not crazy about the icing on some of them though, I think it's marshmellow????

Love the way it looks, but not crazy about the taste. I have a friend whose wife makes them and used to give classes. I guess it's somewhat of an art.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the icing on local cakes is normally some sort of marshmallow fluff but i have never had a cake here where the sugar was properly incorporated in the marshmallow layer.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the icing on local cakes is normally some sort of marshmallow fluff but i have never had a cake here where the sugar was properly incorporated in the marshmallow layer.

good frosting gets pricey..marshmallow fluff is a good compromise, if done well.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have not seen it but i am sure it's available. using fondant is a lot of work tho because normally it requires buttercream layer below in order to hold it without melting it or damaging it. likely it would be expensive too. so far i did not bother to try making my own because homemade fondant decoration would have more calories than than the entire cake it covers.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Do they not use rolled fondant in DR?

AlterEgo you are asking waaaaay too much of dominicans.  They can't even make bread!  Yesterday went to Los Corales where the French Bakery (alright it wasn't really French but...fair stuff) used to be.  It is now owned by Venezuelans but dictated to by dominican taste...anyway we should have known better but my friend bought 4 croissants...how terrible were these...Very awful very very sour tasting and awful.  On the way other hand Punta Italia in San Juan Plaza not only has exceptional (for DR) food but the baking that is done (if you get there early enough and are lucky enough) is outstanding for anyone, and the croissants he bakes have definitely seen Paris.  So lucky to go there.  The cakes, torts any of his baking is just excellent.  But to remember this is Not a bakery, it is an italian restaurant where one can also buy excellent cold cuts.
Again dominicans, as we already have written about so many times could care less about food, and obviously less about baking.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
AlterEgo you are asking waaaaay too much of dominicans.  They can't even make bread!  Yesterday went to Los Corales where the French Bakery (alright it wasn't really French but...fair stuff) used to be.  It is now owned by Venezuelans but dictated to by dominican taste...anyway we should have known better but my friend bought 4 croissants...how terrible were these...Very awful very very sour tasting and awful.  On the way other hand Punta Italia in San Juan Plaza not only has exceptional (for DR) food but the baking that is done (if you get there early enough and are lucky enough) is outstanding for anyone, and the croissants he bakes have definitely seen Paris.  So lucky to go there.  The cakes, torts any of his baking is just excellent.  But to remember this is Not a bakery, it is an italian restaurant where one can also buy excellent cold cuts.
Again dominicans, as we already have written about so many times could care less about food, and obviously less about baking.

well, jeb, one has to go easy on Dominicans when it comes to baked goods. when the best store bought flour is barely better than chalk dust, you are not going to be baking anything too good.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i have no idea what that is...

well, jeb, one has to go easy on Dominicans when it comes to baked goods. when the best store bought flour is barely better than chalk dust, you are not going to be baking anything too good.

This is so sad, but so true. Godawful flour in DR.

Our daughter has a "real job", but she loves to bake and has a side business making fancy schmancy cakes, all done with fondant. Here are some pics of birthday, baby shower, boy scouts, etc., cakes she's made. [She also makes Dominican Tres Leche cakes upon request]. All the little figures are made by hand, using fondant too.

11351238_1640170479551553_55829951531795436_n.jpg12096336_1689512031284064_4603784688188355467_n.jpg11000109_1632228637012404_4743863610003331124_n.jpg13894990_1807179936183939_5928135491437808387_n.jpg16649110_1899974963571102_8561197170855348644_n.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that reminds me that i have seen here fondant flowers/decor. tastes disgusting, to be honest.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
This is so sad, but so true. Godawful flour in DR.

Our daughter has a "real job", but she loves to bake and has a side business making fancy schmancy cakes, all done with fondant. Here are some pics of birthday, baby shower, boy scouts, etc., cakes she's made. [She also makes Dominican Tres Leche cakes upon request]. All the little figures are made by hand, using fondant too.

View attachment 2673View attachment 2674View attachment 2675View attachment 2676View attachment 2677

That's the same kind of stuff my friends wife does. Labor intensive stuff and she gets a lot for them.