Fingerprinting for FBI Criminal Report

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Is it possible to have fingerprinting done in the Dominican Republic that is acceptable by the FBI to issue a Criminal Background Check required for Dominican Citizenship?

I've searched but have come up with nothing.

Thye only folks I know that have dealt with the process here are Brits and Canadians.

Any input is appreciated.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Harry myrtle beach is American and he is now a citizen. Maybe pm him?

Matilda

Jan 7, 2016
I used an FBI-approved Channeler, but I don't think there are any approved here in the D.R. Once you submit your prints electronically with the channeler, by the time you return home, the FBI report is ready to print on your home or business computer. You then send them to the U.S. State Department in Washington, D.C. for certification/appostile, then forward them to the DR people at Immigration or your attorney. Takes a little over a week for this process to complete before you have them in hand to send down here.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
I was lucky that I still had the translation of my FBI report from my applying for the 60 day residency before getting my one year residency. I was waiting over a year for interpol report which never comes. When I asked if my FBI report would suffice they sent me upstairs to the lady that works with interpol. She was happy to take the FBI report that was well more than a year old (it did have an apostle) It took less than 2 months for my ceremony from that point. She showed me on her computer screen that the request to Interpol was put in and she was waiting for them to respond which they seem to never do. She does not have a direct number to Interpol and can only leave messages with them. I do not believe DR immigration is purposely trying to delay the process. It is just that there is a lack of communication from one department to another that causes confusion. Had they explained that Interpol is a pill and that my FBI report would suffice my ceremony would have been a year earlier.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If they need to be digitalized , then they cannot be done in the DR as far as I know

The digitalization process adds time and money .

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
If they need to be digitalized , then they cannot be done in the DR as far as I know

The digitalization process adds time and money .
The FBI does not require digitized fingerprints, according to the info on their website that windy posted.

I'd use a channeler, but they require fingerprints.

Many US consulates do fingerprinting, but not the US Consulate in the DR.

I called the Bureau of Diplomatic Security---I found some info that said their offices often know where this can be done---and am awaiting a callback. The gal I spoke with had no info and had to ask.

An old thread on DR1 claimed fingerprinting can be done in Santo Domingo at the Records Division of the PN, and we'll follow-up tomorrow.

I was hoping someone had first-hand experience. I really don't want to fly back just for fingerprints.

Harry got his done in the states for his residency.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That was a big 'IF' in my comment....

Good you don't need that....Canadians do need them.

Hope it works out for you.

I am ready for fingerprinting by the DR but am in Canada.
I'll be flying back to sign and fingerprint....
Just to keep the file fresh and moving.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you can determine that the FBI will accept ink prints taken by a foreign Police Force, and if you can get copies of the specific forms for those fingerprints, there is an office in PN Headquarters that supposedly does fingerprinting.

Palacio de la Policía Nacional - Sede Central
Avenida Leopoldo Navarro #402, Santo Domingo, R.D.
Ph: 809-682-2151 / 809-685-2020
Email: info@policianacional.gov.do

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If you can determine that the FBI will accept ink prints taken by a foreign Police Force, and if you can get copies of the specific forms for those fingerprints, there is an office in PN Headquarters that supposedly does fingerprinting.

Palacio de la Policía Nacional - Sede Central
Avenida Leopoldo Navarro #402, Santo Domingo, R.D.
Ph: 809-682-2151 / 809-685-2020
Email: info@policianacional.gov.do

The form for fingerprints can be downloaded here:

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/standard-fingerprint-form-fd-258-1.pdf/view

The instructions on the FBI website say:

Step 2: Obtain a Set of Your Fingerprints

Your fingerprints should be placed on a standard fingerprint form (FD-258) commonly used for applicant or law enforcement purposes. The FBI will accept FD-258 fingerprint cards on standard white paper stock.
You must provide a current fingerprint card. Previously processed cards or copies will not be accepted.
Your name and date of birth must be provided on the fingerprint card.
You must include rolled impressions of all 10 fingerprints and impressions of all 10 fingerprints taken at the same time (these are sometimes referred to as plain or flat impressions).
If possible, have your fingerprints taken by a fingerprinting technician. This service may be available at a law enforcement agency.
Fingerprints taken with ink or via live scan are acceptable.
(Bolding is mine) The instructions do not specify that the fingerprints must be taken by a US law enforcement person.

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks

Edited to add:

List of FBI approved channelers:

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/i...channelers-for-departmental-order-submissions

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The form for fingerprints can be downloaded here:

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/standard-fingerprint-form-fd-258-1.pdf/view

The instructions on the FBI website say:

(Bolding is mine) The instructions do not specify that the fingerprints must be taken by a US law enforcement person.

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks

Edited to add:

List of FBI approved channelers:

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/i...channelers-for-departmental-order-submissions
I have all that. I have chatted with channelers. I will use one IF I get fingerprints. I just don't want togo to the states to have them inked.

But when it comes to getting fingerprints inked outside the US the trail goes dry. Some channelers say to ask the local consulate, I have, and their website clearly states no fingerprinting.

The search continues. I'm expecting three callbacks today. I'll report the findings.

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
We ordered fingerprinting ink from Amazon and did them ourselves, then submitted them to a channeler. The FBI had no problem with it. Just be sure you get the right fingers in the proper places on the form, and nice clean prints. Do a couple practice runs on scrap paper.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We ordered fingerprinting ink from Amazon and did them ourselves, then submitted them to a channeler. The FBI had no problem with it. Just be sure you get the right fingers in the proper places on the form, and nice clean prints. Do a couple practice runs on scrap paper.

I kind of figured that might work.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

Very interesting...

But there is a blank on the FBI form that asks for the signature & address of the "Official Taking Fingerprints."

How did you get past that?

Last edited:

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
I'll have to ask the wife, but if memory serves we left that blank and submitted it to the channeler.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I'll have to ask the wife, but if memory serves we left that blank and submitted it to the channeler.

Please do, and get the name of the channeler.

Thx-

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
Please do, and get the name of the channeler.

Thx-
I'll ask when she gets home tonight. As for the channeler, it was MyFBIReport (at: MyFBIReport.com).

Keep in mind also that there's a ~$40 US charge for the channeler service. You also have to pay ~$8 US for the Dept of State to apostille the document....which is all separate. You submit the fingerprints, and once you receive the result it has to be sent to the Dept. of State for authentication. It takes a few weeks total.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They do have a fingerprinting FAQ

Fingerprinting FAQ

Can I use any live scan location?
No. Not all live scan locations are configured to securely transmit fingerprint information to My FBI Report. Only Preferred Live Scan Locations listed on this website can transmit your fingerprints to us.

Where can I get an FD-258 fingerprinting card?
You may download an FD-258 (PDF) from our website and print it on standard paper. Card stock is not required. A4 paper may be used by international users.

Can I fingerprint myself?
No.
Fingerprints must be taken by a trained technician. You may consider having two different sets of prints ink-rolled, if the images are questionable.

How many fingerprint cards do I need to mail?
You are required to mail 1 fingerprint card. However, it is helpful to send multiple sets of prints (not just copies of the same fingerprint capture). We choose the best fingerprint capture and submit those prints to the FBI.

What happens if my fingerprint images are rejected?
When having fingerprints ink-rolled, be sure to have a complete set of fingerprints taken by a trained technician. If your fingerprints are rejected, you have the option to submit additional sets of fingerprints and incur additional charges each time.
Please review the fingerprinting instructions (PDF), which illustrates fingerprints that are considered acceptable.

http://myfbireport.com/locations/index.php