Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to open a business in Santo Domingo

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Looking to open a business in Santo Domingo

Hello all,

I am a US citizen who looking to open a business in Santo Domingo and looking for advice on licensing, how to recruit employees, taxes, visas, etc. Here are some preliminary points to get out of the way:

1.Yes I speak fluent Spanish
    2. Yes I have been to DR
    3. Yes it will be a profitable business once I get settled in and have my marketing in order (cosmetic industry related catering to international clients, mostly from US)
    4. I want to run it myself for the first few months until I have a secure reliable staff
    5. I want it to be legit

Can anyone offer advice or head me in the right direction?

Thank you!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I run a company here and it makes money and only employs Dominicans. It can be done. I wish I knew at the start all that I now know about how to do it, so it's great that you are taking advice. I am in Europe at the moment but I'd be happy to meet with you when I get back in early September and chat through some key points of advice. I can also help you with recruitment as I worked in recruitment for over 20 years. PM me if you're interested.

What type of business are you setting up?

3. Likes Africaida liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Paul,

Thank you for responding! Unfortunately the system doesn't allow me to PM, I am guessing because I am a newbie. Are you able to PM me? Or do you have another method of communication?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have legal residence in the DR?

One area I have never been clear on is this. In order to "work" legally in the DR, you have to be a legal resident.

However, in order to own and run a business, do you need to have legal residence in the DR if you are the sole proprietor?

I am sure others could clarify that. Legal or not without residency, doing business without a cedula, which means you have legal residency, could be a challenge. Getting an RNC number for the business might also be a challenge.

https://www.jpmorgan.com/tss/General.../1424621856282

6. Likes cobraboy liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camillej View Post
    Hello all,

I am a US citizen who looking to open a business in Santo Domingo and looking for advice on licensing, how to recruit employees, taxes, visas, etc. Here are some preliminary points to get out of the way:

1.Yes I speak fluent Spanish
    2. Yes I have been to DR
    3. Yes it will be a profitable business once I get settled in and have my marketing in order (cosmetic industry related catering to international clients, mostly from US)
    4. I want to run it myself for the first few months until I have a secure reliable staff
    5. I want it to be legit

Can anyone offer advice or head me in the right direction?

Thank you!

You will have to start with your residency. You have to go to the nearest consulate and collect a bunch of required documents.
    There are topics on that matter. Good luck!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Do you have legal residence in the DR?

One area I have never been clear on is this. In order to "work" legally in the DR, you have to be a legal resident.

However, in order to own and run a business, do you need to have legal residence in the DR if you are the sole proprietor?

I am sure others could clarify that. Legal or not without residency, doing business without a cedula, which means you have legal residency, could be a challenge. Getting an RNC number for the business might also be a challenge.

https://www.jpmorgan.com/tss/General.../1424621856282
    One can legally invest or own a business in the DR, however one must have residency to work in it.

Moderator - Central Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camillej View Post
    Unfortunately the system doesn't allow me to PM, I am guessing because I am a newbie.
    After you get 10 posts you should be able to PM.

The Clown Bin / Central

10. Likes Bronxboy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    One can legally invest or own a business in the DR, however one must have residency to work in it.
    And as a sole proprietor that would mean working in the business would not be legal without residency, which must be started in the OP's home country.

12. Likes cobraboy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I often wonder how many of the businesses we see an use are actually registered.

The local laundry, the shoe fixer....all the metal working shops
    It's a loooong list

14. Dislikes harry myrtle beach disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    I often wonder how many of the businesses we see an use are actually registered.

The local laundry, the shoe fixer....all the metal working shops
    It's a loooong list
    I'm sure a double standard exists, locals vs. foreigners.

But those who work in those shops are Dominican.

16. Likes jd426 liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast