Looking to open a business in Santo Domingo

camillej

Aug 22, 2017
Hello all,

I am a US citizen who looking to open a business in Santo Domingo and looking for advice on licensing, how to recruit employees, taxes, visas, etc. Here are some preliminary points to get out of the way:

1.Yes I speak fluent Spanish
2. Yes I have been to DR
3. Yes it will be a profitable business once I get settled in and have my marketing in order (cosmetic industry related catering to international clients, mostly from US)
4. I want to run it myself for the first few months until I have a secure reliable staff
5. I want it to be legit

Can anyone offer advice or head me in the right direction?

Thank you!

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I run a company here and it makes money and only employs Dominicans. It can be done. I wish I knew at the start all that I now know about how to do it, so it's great that you are taking advice. I am in Europe at the moment but I'd be happy to meet with you when I get back in early September and chat through some key points of advice. I can also help you with recruitment as I worked in recruitment for over 20 years. PM me if you're interested.

What type of business are you setting up?

camillej

Aug 22, 2017
Hello Paul,

Thank you for responding! Unfortunately the system doesn't allow me to PM, I am guessing because I am a newbie. Are you able to PM me? Or do you have another method of communication?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do you have legal residence in the DR?

One area I have never been clear on is this. In order to "work" legally in the DR, you have to be a legal resident.

However, in order to own and run a business, do you need to have legal residence in the DR if you are the sole proprietor?

I am sure others could clarify that. Legal or not without residency, doing business without a cedula, which means you have legal residency, could be a challenge. Getting an RNC number for the business might also be a challenge.

https://www.jpmorgan.com/tss/General/Dominican_Republic/1424621856282

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Hello all,

I am a US citizen who looking to open a business in Santo Domingo and looking for advice on licensing, how to recruit employees, taxes, visas, etc. Here are some preliminary points to get out of the way:

1.Yes I speak fluent Spanish
2. Yes I have been to DR
3. Yes it will be a profitable business once I get settled in and have my marketing in order (cosmetic industry related catering to international clients, mostly from US)
4. I want to run it myself for the first few months until I have a secure reliable staff
5. I want it to be legit

Can anyone offer advice or head me in the right direction?

Thank you!

You will have to start with your residency. You have to go to the nearest consulate and collect a bunch of required documents.
There are topics on that matter. Good luck!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Do you have legal residence in the DR?

One area I have never been clear on is this. In order to "work" legally in the DR, you have to be a legal resident.

However, in order to own and run a business, do you need to have legal residence in the DR if you are the sole proprietor?

I am sure others could clarify that. Legal or not without residency, doing business without a cedula, which means you have legal residency, could be a challenge. Getting an RNC number for the business might also be a challenge.

https://www.jpmorgan.com/tss/General/Dominican_Republic/1424621856282
One can legally invest or own a business in the DR, however one must have residency to work in it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One can legally invest or own a business in the DR, however one must have residency to work in it.

And as a sole proprietor that would mean working in the business would not be legal without residency, which must be started in the OP's home country.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I often wonder how many of the businesses we see an use are actually registered.

The local laundry, the shoe fixer....all the metal working shops
It's a loooong list

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I often wonder how many of the businesses we see an use are actually registered.

The local laundry, the shoe fixer....all the metal working shops
It's a loooong list
I'm sure a double standard exists, locals vs. foreigners.

But those who work in those shops are Dominican.

camillej

Aug 22, 2017
Temporary residency is a form of residency, so yes.

(Remember that all residency in the DR is really temporary, as in it having to be renewed periodically.)

I have another question, my boyfriend was born in Santo Domingo but was raised in the US since 5. Would it be easier for him to obtain residency or citizenship or is he still classified as a citizen since he was born there. Just thinking it may be easier to start the business under his name.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's a plan ....

definitely go that route.....I would
less/no hassle.... fast startup.....

He is a citizen.... may physically need a passport but cannot be denied it ---IMO

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have another question, my boyfriend was born in Santo Domingo but was raised in the US since 5. Would it be easier for him to obtain residency or citizenship or is he still classified as a citizen since he was born there. Just thinking it may be easier to start the business under his name.

He's a citizen, just needs to present his birth certificate to get a cedula. I'd personally not put a business in anyone else's name, unless legally married, but that's your decision, of course.

camillej

Aug 22, 2017
He's a citizen, just needs to present his birth certificate to get a cedula. I'd personally not put a business in anyone else's name, unless legally married, but that's your decision, of course.

Another silly question, how does one get a cedula?