Floating Bridge in SD closed again

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's closed going from SD .... traffic jam. See link for photos of large crack in bridge pavement.
computer translated:

Fault in the floating bridge causes closure of passage from the National District to Santo Domingo Este

SANTO DOMINGO. A fault in the floating bridge has caused that the vehicles that transit in direction from the National District towards Santo Domingo East are being diverted.

The problem has generated a big traffic jam on George Washington Avenue, at the entrance to the floating bridge, as drivers are diverted to the Ramón Matías Mella bridge, better known as La Bicicleta, and other surrounding areas.

According to traffic applications, there are also backups at the entrances to join the Mella bridge, Isabel La Católica and Juan Parra Alba.

There is also a strong jam in Santo Domingo Este, in the access section.

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...o-nacional-hacia-santo-domingo-este-GG7989549

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
It was originally installed as a temporary solution while the regular bridge was being fixed up many, many years ago (13-15 I would estimate). I'm surprised it still works.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
There was a message from Amet on Twitter like 20 minutes ago saying it is open again.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It was originally installed as a temporary solution while the regular bridge was being fixed up many, many years ago (13-15 I would estimate). I'm surprised it still works.

It was actually about 50 years ago.... the US built it around the time of the revolution.

PS. It was supposed to be temporary

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It was actually about 50 years ago.... the US built it around the time of the revolution.

Are you sure? I seem to remember a time there was no floating bridge about 30 ish years ago. I remember reading it originally was owned by a General who "Rented" it to the city.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

Are you sure? I seem to remember a time there was no floating bridge about 30 ish years ago. I remember reading it originally was owned by a General who "Rented" it to the city.

I think you may be referring to the bridge built by the Army, but that was a temporary thing.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

Added:

I think you may be referring to the bridge built by the Army back in 66' after the revolution, but that was a temporary thing. It was built on the Haina River for access to San Cristobal, not at the location of the current bridge on the Rio Ozama.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Added:

I think you may be referring to the bridge built by the Army back in 66' after the revolution, but that was a temporary thing. It was built on the Haina River for access to San Cristobal, not at the location of the current bridge on the Rio Ozama.

It's Leo who says the US Army built that bridge, and that it was supposed to be temporary but is still there. He was a teenager during the revolution, and at some point he and one brother got stuck on the other side of the Ozama River during that time.

What bridge is this?:

[video=youtube;XxxmgXT6cGo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxxmgXT6cGo[/video]

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
It's Leo who says the US Army built that bridge, and that it was supposed to be temporary but is still there. He was a teenager during the revolution, and at some point he and one brother got stuck on the other side of the Ozama River during that time.

What bridge is this?:

[video=youtube;XxxmgXT6cGo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxxmgXT6cGo[/video]

Jeez.. how do you find this stuff? That's the one I was talking about across the Haina river.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
JD, my husband says that the floating bridge was definitely built by the US Army. I know it was there when I first came to SD in '75. He says before it was built, there were little boats that ferried you across the Ozama for a fee, "like a motoconcho". He also says to ask you "How much you wanna bet?" :p

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
JD, my husband says that the floating bridge was definitely built by the US Army. I know it was there when I first came to SD in '75. He says before it was built, there were little boats that ferried you across the Ozama for a fee, "like a motoconcho". He also says to ask you "How much you wanna bet?" :p

Thank the Lord I'm not a gambling man....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
The toll still exists after you cross the bridge the PN has a toll setup for you Dominican Style. prices are according Gringos pay 500 pesos Dominicans pay 200. Sometimes if you pass two times in one day you get a discount. I just make the left after the bridge and avoid them.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The toll still exists after you cross the bridge the PN has a toll setup for you Dominican Style. prices are according Gringos pay 500 pesos Dominicans pay 200. Sometimes if you pass two times in one day you get a discount. I just make the left after the bridge and avoid them.

I don't know which bridge you're talking about, but I've never seen that on the floating bridge across the Ozama.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Just drove by the makeshift PN traffic stop in question and the "officials" were busy stopping unsuspecting drivers coming from and going to the puente flotante.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
It's closed going from SD .... traffic jam. See link for photos of large crack in bridge pavement.
computer translated:

Fault in the floating bridge causes closure of passage from the National District to Santo Domingo Este

SANTO DOMINGO. A fault in the floating bridge has caused that the vehicles that transit in direction from the National District towards Santo Domingo East are being diverted.

The problem has generated a big traffic jam on George Washington Avenue, at the entrance to the floating bridge, as drivers are diverted to the Ramón Matías Mella bridge, better known as La Bicicleta, and other surrounding areas.

According to traffic applications, there are also backups at the entrances to join the Mella bridge, Isabel La Católica and Juan Parra Alba.

There is also a strong jam in Santo Domingo Este, in the access section.

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...o-nacional-hacia-santo-domingo-este-GG7989549

I see you mentioned the La Bicicleta bridge. Does any one remember how it got that name?