Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Trouble In Apartment Complex

  1. #1
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    800
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Trouble In Apartment Complex

    Not sure this is the right forum under legal, but I live in an apartment complex in Santo Domingo that is a real disaster like many other apartment buildings here.

    It seems like a group within the complex has more or less hijacked control of the apartment complex finances and have a game going on where this little clique does not pay the monthly condo association fee.

    The methodology appears to be some form of inflating expenses and receiving commissions back from vendors of services to then be used by this group to pay their monthly condo association fee with our money.

    Since there is no real independent audit of the finances, it appears they can do as they wish with signatory control over the apartment complex's bank account and our money.

    The assembly meetings are a complete joke with a lack of quorum, but that doesn't stop them from voting on a new 'Directiva' by using the same people over and over again in their little group-like a revolving door.

    I have reached the point, where the lack of properly following the rules within the Assembly meetings and also the lack of control to the finances with a proper independent audit has forced me to stop paying the monthly association fee and move this to legal.

    Is anyone else going through this out there and how do you resolve the matter, when the proper function of Assembly meetings has been nullified due to a group taking monopoly control over the property and its finances. I see no other resolution other than stop paying and legal against what could be considered white collar crime.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    28,122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
    Not sure this is the right forum under legal, but I live in an apartment complex in Santo Domingo that is a real disaster like many other apartment buildings here.

    It seems like a group within the complex has more or less hijacked control of the apartment complex finances and have a game going on where this little clique does not pay the monthly condo association fee.

    The methodology appears to be some form of inflating expenses and receiving commissions back from vendors of services to then be used by this group to pay their monthly condo association fee with our money.

    Since there is no real independent audit of the finances, it appears they can do as they wish with signatory control over the apartment complex's bank account and our money.

    The assembly meetings are a complete joke with a lack of quorum, but that doesn't stop them from voting on a new 'Directiva' by using the same people over and over again in their little group-like a revolving door.

    I have reached the point, where the lack of properly following the rules within the Assembly meetings and also the lack of control to the finances with a proper independent audit has forced me to stop paying the monthly association fee and move this to legal.

    Is anyone else going through this out there and how do you resolve the matter, when the proper function of Assembly meetings has been nullified due to a group taking monopoly control over the property and its finances. I see no other resolution other than stop paying and legal against what could be considered white collar crime.

    Thank you.
    i am not sure of your nationality, but you should factor that into whatever decisions you might be inclined to implement.

  3. Likes zoomzx11 liked this post
  4. #3
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    800
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    i am not sure of your nationality, but you should factor that into whatever decisions you might be inclined to implement.
    Illegal activity doesn't have any shelter from the nationality of those being victimized.

  5. Likes Robert, monfongo liked this post
  6. #4
    Gold
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Are you renting or do you own the apartment?

  7. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    800
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    Are you renting or do you own the apartment?
    Owner.

  8. #6
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,293
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
    Not sure this is the right forum under legal, but I live in an apartment complex in Santo Domingo that is a real disaster like many other apartment buildings here.

    It seems like a group within the complex has more or less hijacked control of the apartment complex finances and have a game going on where this little clique does not pay the monthly condo association fee.

    The methodology appears to be some form of inflating expenses and receiving commissions back from vendors of services to then be used by this group to pay their monthly condo association fee with our money.

    Since there is no real independent audit of the finances, it appears they can do as they wish with signatory control over the apartment complex's bank account and our money.

    The assembly meetings are a complete joke with a lack of quorum, but that doesn't stop them from voting on a new 'Directiva' by using the same people over and over again in their little group-like a revolving door.

    I have reached the point, where the lack of properly following the rules within the Assembly meetings and also the lack of control to the finances with a proper independent audit has forced me to stop paying the monthly association fee and move this to legal.

    Is anyone else going through this out there and how do you resolve the matter, when the proper function of Assembly meetings has been nullified due to a group taking monopoly control over the property and its finances. I see no other resolution other than stop paying and legal against what could be considered white collar crime.

    Thank you.

    A common problem. When I lived in SD in the ninetees on a sixth Floor rental appartment we just got fed up with walking the steps with groceries because there was No diesel money for the generator . We moved.

  9. #7
    *** Sin Bin ***
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    28,534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fulano2 View Post
    A common problem. When I lived in SD in the ninetees on a sixth Floor rental appartment we just got fed up with walking the steps with groceries because there was No diesel money for the generator . We moved.
    Not so easy unless you are a renter, JtG is an owner.

    Perhaps he can rent elsewhere and rent out his apartment to someone else with a higher tolerance of baloney.

  10. Likes JDJones liked this post
  11. #8
    99.9% Regular User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The age old problem of convincing "someone" to do something they don't want to do (allow audits and hold legit meetings).

    You have a choice to make. Exercise your prerogative as an condo owner and attempt to coerce the board into adopting acceptable practices, accept the way the way things are or move and attempt to recoup as much of your investment as you are able.

    As an individual or even a group of individuals, the chances of you being able to bring about meaningful change in the practices of the board on your own is a long shot. If you are going to fight for change then either you or the group of like minded owners needs to get a lawyer to approach the board with a list of demands and a consequence if they fail to reform. If you are not prepared for all this entails, then you need to select one of the remaining two options.

    I doubt that there is a regulatory agency that would be prepared to intervene on behalf of the aggrieved owners. Fight or flight, that's the choice.

  12. #9
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bullies and criminals expect you to give up. If they see that you and others are willing to fight for what's right, then they will eventually change. Good luck and give 'em hell.

  13. Likes jimmythegreek liked this post
  14. #10
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    28,122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
    Illegal activity doesn't have any shelter from the nationality of those being victimized.
    that is a noble way to look at things. reality might beg to differ. if you are a foreigner, you would be best served by treading lightly..

  15. Likes zoomzx11, CristoRey liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO