Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trouble In Apartment Complex

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cbmitch9 View Post
    Bullies and criminals expect you to give up. If they see that you and others are willing to fight for what's right, then they will eventually change. Good luck and give 'em hell.
    as i said, all that sounds good in theory. when you are a foreigner in a third world country, things can go sideways, real quickly. this is not Kansas.

2. Likes Fulano2, CristoRey, Squat, barker1964, Conchman liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Would suggest you meet with other condominium owners that may be in your same situation and would also want transparency in the handling of the building finances. Unless the building is very small, those not in agreement should be more.

In my building we had this experience. There was a long time condominium owner-administrator who had the support of many who recognized that for years he had taken upon his shoulders paying the accounts of the building, etc., but the man was incapable for years of producing statements. A group of three, including myself, all owners in the building, got together and we ousted the long time manager and appointed an external manager-company that is transparent in the finances.

The condominium law orders for an assembly to be held every year to hear of the finances of the building and a report by the management. That meeting can be called by any condominium if the management or the board does not call it. But you need to get the support of others in the building that are not satisfied with the situation.

4. Likes jimmythegreek, JDJones liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores View Post
    Would suggest you meet with other condominium owners that may be in your same situation and would also want transparency in the handling of the building finances. Unless the building is very small, those not in agreement should be more.

In my building we had this experience. There was a long time condominium owner-administrator who had the support of many who recognized that for years he had taken upon his shoulders paying the accounts of the building, etc., but the man was incapable for years of producing statements. A group of three, including myself, all owners in the building, got together and we ousted the long time manager and appointed an external manager-company that is transparent in the finances.

The condominium law orders for an assembly to be held every year to hear of the finances of the building and a report by the management. That meeting can be called by any condominium if the management or the board does not call it. But you need to get the support of others in the building that are not satisfied with the situation.
    Thanks for your post-all good suggestions-Unfortunately, we have tried this and it has failed to come to fruition.

I am afraid the only recourse now is legal.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It's me I move out asap. Gringos do not win uphill battles against Dominican tigres.
    There is no good option.
    What can you do, hire a Dominican lawyer?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    It's me I move out asap. Gringos do not win uphill battles against Dominican tigres.
    There is no good option.
    What can you do, hire a Dominican lawyer?
    Property is 50% owned by Dominican national.

However, I disagree with all the hysteria about foreigners having no equal right to the property laws here in DR.

8. Likes Mauricio, rfp liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're going to stop making payments to them, I suggest you keep making them buy put it in escrow until you get the problem resolved.

If it were me, I would be trying to sit down with different members of the board and try to reason with them. They won't want to get lawyers involved any more than you do.

10. Likes Uzin, Mauricio liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
    Illegal activity doesn't have any shelter from the nationality of those being victimized.
    Or shouldn't anyway!

12. Likes jimmythegreek liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Property is 50% owned by Dominican national.

However, I disagree with all the hysteria about foreigners having no equal right to the property laws here in DR.
    it is not hysteria. you are a foreigner in these peoples country. if they perceive you as a troublemaker, bad stuff can go down. i am just concerned about possibilities, because i am a third world guy, and i know what can go wrong in these situations. all i am suggesting is that you consider your courses of action very carefully.

14. Likes Squat, RDKNIGHT, Russell liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    it is not hysteria. you are a foreigner in these peoples country. if they perceive you as a troublemaker, bad stuff can go down. i am just concerned about possibilities, because i am a third world guy, and i know what can go wrong in these situations. all i am suggesting is that you consider your courses of action very carefully.
    'Troublemaker'-Those that conduct illegal activities fit that definition. BTW-maybe you did not see my post that this property is 50% owned by Dominican national, but I think your argument doesn't have a leg to stand on here.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

'Troublemaker'-Those that conduct illegal activities fit that definition. BTW-maybe you did not see my post that this property is 50% owned by Dominican national, but I think your argument doesn't have a leg to stand on here.
    Those who disrupt the ones doing the illegal activity are also thought to be in that category, by those who actually are.
    Der Fish

17. Likes Russell, trustquest liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast