Air BNB vs. Smaller boutique Hotel Properties

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Can we get opinions on the advantages/disadvantages to using the Air BNB service vs Smaller boutique hotel properties in Santo Domingo. There are many now popping up and literally hundreds of Air BNB options around the city. We all know how great UBER is down there. Now Id like to get some feedback on the Air BNB service since I will be considering it for my next stay. People who have used it please weigh in, thanks.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I am currently in an airbnb in Provincetown mass.  My first time using airbnb. Easy and seamless communication with the owner. Working out great. Next time I go to Sdq I'll probably use airbnb. If you find a good one, please let us know. 

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I have done AirbnB (Complete Apartment) in Santo Domingo. I loved it compared to the smaller boutique hotels because for the price of a Small Boutique hotel, you can get more rooms and have your family stay with you. Do your research and read the AirBnB reviews for each host or apartment. The comments are usually spot on in my opinion.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A lot of the boutique hotels in SD are also using AirBnB. When we stayed at one of them, we met a few young American guys at breakfast, I think they were from the midwest if I remember correctly. I asked them how they found the hotel, and they said AirBnB.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
AE, I found the same thing in Mexico City. A place I got through booking I later saw on airbnb. In. Y hometown a local hotel also lists on airbnb. 

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
I have used Airb&b in several countries and in Santo Domingo and I like it a lot.

There are several advantages but the most important to me is having a fully equipped kitchen. That saves a lot of money and is more convenient when you don't feel like going out.

Another is staying in a neighborhood vs. being in a hotel surrounded by fellow travelers.

Many have washers/dryers which is very convenient.

The downside is having to bring or buy your essentials (TP, soap etc.). And the lack of services like daily cleaning and food service.

The costs can be similar when you factor in the "service charge" and "cleaning fee" that Airb&b charges.

I have found that the descriptions and reviews of the apartments on Airb&b are very accurate and have not had a bad experience yet in the 15-20 times I have used them.

And they are everywhere, even in small towns without a hotel. There are a wide variety and basically you get what you pay for.

You and your host are rated and your reputation follows you.

My experience has been very positive.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
A lot of the boutique hotels in SD are also using AirBnB. When we stayed at one of them, we met a few young American guys at breakfast, I think they were from the midwest if I remember correctly. I asked them how they found the hotel, and they said AirBnB.

Yes, many aparthotels do the same thing. Some of them have built additional apartments separate to their aparthotel but in the same building or attached to it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Airbnb has literally taken over the market and is probably the biggest "hotel room" provider in the world. They do a lot of things right. I have been associated with them since they started.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Airbnb has literally taken over the market and is probably the biggest "hotel room" provider in the world. They do a lot of things right. I have been associated with them since they started.

Same here ! Although I am not too crazy about them in DR...In LT, at least, you get a lot of agents who just represent the properties. So, their price tend to be above the "real" price if you go directly through the agent and their calendar are never updated (since several agents represent the same property). However, in July, I rented a place through an owner, it was perfect (retired couple from the Hospitality industry in France, and it makes a LOT of difference).

I have been hosting in New York as well for the past few years. My apartment is pretty much rented every time I travel, that makes traveling with my tribe less costly. Airbnb is awesome, never had a problem weather as a host or a guest.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Many many rentals charge you separately for electricity. They mark the meter upon arrival and departure. Very common in DR and an important question to ask.