Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Earthquakes in the DR

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Must apologise my earlier posting is under the DR1 news of today Monday

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have learned something new today .I never knew that in America the verb .to total ..can mean to absolutely demolish or destroy I see it today in the news about the Plaza Lama warehouse .

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

total
    ˈtəʊt(ə)l/Submit
    verb

NORTH AMERICAN informal
    damage (something, typically a vehicle) beyond repair; wreck.
    "he almost totaled the car"
    synonyms: wreck, crash, smash, destroy, damage beyond repair, demolish; More

4. Likes Kipling333 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Please no earthquakes... dont even think it.

99.9% Regular User
    Post Thanks / Like

K333, your point(s) are valid. The concept of awareness is key. Unlike storms that we can watch approach and make last minute preparations for, earthquakes are an entirely different creature. When a big one occurs, we will have only the stuff we had 10 minutes previously, we will be in the same place were were standing minutes before and our reality will change in minutes instead of hours as with a hurricane.

If you stay here for any significant period of time, not much you can do other than be aware and prepare in a general sense. Perhaps some modern buildings in the larger cities are in slightly better condition to withstand a significant shake. Generally though, in this country with the standards and practices being what they are, concrete, concrete block, & rebar may be able to withstand a significant wind but those materials do not shake well.

Kudos to the seismologist from SD for at least speaking about the risks regardless of the completeness or accuracy of his historical references.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Kipling, nothing was deleted, some posts were made in a different thread though, yours included. I've moved them all here.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

8. Likes Kipling333 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Long way from the catastrophe in Haiti - your place
    at least we are along the same coastline and the fault lies off the north coast as I understand it

Big deal - how the Dominican report could read as it does above is confusing
    Re-reading this , it doesn't sound right.

What I meant was the size of the quake was huge in that you felt it so far away.

it was much closer to me....but b/c of my rock base, I felt virtually nothing

The fact that some RD source seems to discount something of this magnitude confuses me

Is that better ??

10. Likes Kipling333 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it simply had to be confusion in the translation of what he said ,,he could not forget 2010 .

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    K333, your point(s) are valid. The concept of awareness is key. Unlike storms that we can watch approach and make last minute preparations for, earthquakes are an entirely different creature. When a big one occurs, we will have only the stuff we had 10 minutes previously, we will be in the same place were were standing minutes before and our reality will change in minutes instead of hours as with a hurricane.

If you stay here for any significant period of time, not much you can do other than be aware and prepare in a general sense. Perhaps some modern buildings in the larger cities are in slightly better condition to withstand a significant shake. Generally though, in this country with the standards and practices being what they are, concrete, concrete block, & rebar may be able to withstand a significant wind but those materials do not shake well.

Kudos to the seismologist from SD for at least speaking about the risks regardless of the completeness or accuracy of his historical references.
    I agree but you have to live your life ... and enjoy it you can't sit around waiting for a earthquake..... LIFE IS ONLY ONE

99.9% Regular User
    Post Thanks / Like

Preliminary Earthquake Report
    Magnitude 2.7
    Date-Time • 21 Oct 2017 17:26:31 UTC
    • 21 Oct 2017 17:26:31 near epicenter
    • 21 Oct 2017 13:26:31 standard time in your timezone
    Location 18.059N 68.382W
    Depth 79 km
    Distances • 42.8 km (26.5 mi) SE of Boca de Yuma, Dominican Republic
    • 58.0 km (35.9 mi) S of Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
    • 70.6 km (43.8 mi) SSE of Salvale�n de Hig�ey, Dominican Republic