SPF15 FOR LIPS???

P

Pam

hello,

I know this is a stupid question but it does concern my friend and I. Some people we know who just came back from the DR had big blisters on their lips. They couldn't even eat when they returned here, that's how sore they were. They said that they've been swimming a lot and in the sun and wore suncreen for the lips, but I was wondering if it could be something else. Is there a special kind of lip medix you should buy? We wanted to know because we are planning to be in the water and sun a lot also. Any comments are appreciated!

Thanks

Pam

N

Natasha Lopez

Pam,

Lips burn just like the skin on the body, therefore an spf 15 or higher is recommended for everyone. The most harmful bands of ultraviolet radiation are UVB and UVA. In order to get a more complete sun protection, a product needs to block BOTH UVB and UVA. Your friends' product was probably just protecting against UVB rays, thus still getting sun damage. Even if a product claims to guard against both UVB and UVA, you STILL need to check the list of ingredients in the product. The ONLY ingredients that will protect the skin are: titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, or avobenzone. If the product does not contain one of these ingredients, then it is only protecting against 20% of UVA rays. There are only about four lip products on the market with these ingredients: try Clinique Lip Block SPF 15 or Physicians Formula Bare Radiance Protective Lip Shine SPF 15 (at drugstores).

Hope this helps,

Natasha

D

denise

I've used Hawaain Tropic SPF45 for lips twice in DR and I've never had blisters. Use it constantly, all day long. After eating, after being in water. Hope this helps also. Have fun. Where are you going?

P

Pam

Thanks Natasha and Denise for taking the time to help me out. I'll be sure to check for those products you have mentioned. I'm going to Puerto Plata for 2 weeks. Can't wait!

Thanks again! Much Appreciated

from Pam

C

Cindy

Where/When are You Going to PP?

Pam: When and where are you going in PP? We are going to Hacienda in April (11-25).

D

denise

Re: Where/When are You Going to PP?

Pam: I'm going to Hacienda March 29th for 1 week.