Businesses Not Paying Taxes

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Read this morning that many businesses, the majority, in Samana are paying no taxes to the Gov. In 2017 how is this possible. This says to me that the DR Gov. is so far from buttoned up that it is laughable. They spend the public's money, they steal the public's money and they don't enforce tax laws? REALLY? Is in their own self-interest to collect taxes. How dumb are you? This should have been a priority long ago. Come on man!!!!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yesterday's DR1 News:

Tax Agency hones in on Samana
For years, few businesses in Samaná have paid taxes to the government. Now, the Tax Agency (DGII) under Magin Diaz says these businesses need to begin to pay their fair share of taxes. The agency met with the business community of Samana last week and said that those who do not meet their tax obligations will be forced to shut down.

Díaz explained that previous to the closure of the businesses, the DGII notifies the businesses so these voluntarily regularize their situation.

The meeting with the DGII head Magín Díaz was organized by the DGII with the collaboration of the Samaná Touristic Cluster (CTS), the Tourism Competitiveness Institute (Incotur).

Present for the Samaná business community were Rafael Blanco Tejera, president of Incotur; Henry Ulloa, president of CTS and Juan Bancalari, president of the Association of Hotels and Tourism Businesses of Samaná (Ahetsa).

Díaz explained that the activity was part of periodic meetings the agency is carrying out nationwide to press the importance for economic development of businesses complying with their tax obligations.

http://dgii.gov.do/noticias/Paginas/...a-semana-.aspx

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Read this morning that many businesses, the majority, in Samana are paying no taxes to the Gov. In 2017 how is this possible. This says to me that the DR Gov. is so far from buttoned up that it is laughable. They spend the public's money, they steal the public's money and they don't enforce tax laws? REALLY? Is in their own self-interest to collect taxes. How dumb are you? This should have been a priority long ago. Come on man!!!!!!

My guess is that it was easier and more efficient for the government to enforce tax codes in the capital, Santiago, Bavaro, and Puerto Plata areas, as there are larger and more numerous businesses there. Now they have caught up with the enforcement and can focus on smaller outlying areas. Just a guess though.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I know many businesses in Sosua and Cabarete that don't pay taxes and pay their employees way below minimum wage.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

This is an easy one.
Being a thief (politician) doesn't make you an intelligent person.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
This is an easy one.
Being a thief (politician) doesn't make you an intelligent person.

I agree, but it seems very frustrating for those who have to put up with second rate water and electricity supply and the government is not collecting any tax revenue to pay for and better these service. That should be a major priority. Perhaps some officials are getting paid to look the other way. It wouldn't surprise me.