Lawyers are not responding.........

Aug 29, 2017
I've been trying to get my residency for the Dominican Republic for retirement recently.

Of course I hired a reputable immigration lawyer in the capital, but it has been a while since I last heard from the firm. Last I heard from them was August 11th in which it was confirmed that they received my documents to start the process, however it is now the 30th. Since then I have followed up with a few emails and have not heard back. Is it worth emailing again or is email just not a common business practice the way it is in the States? Again I'm not asking to see if my residency is ready just asking for an update on the case. Not too sure what to do...
any tips on how to handle this situation would be appreciated...

Jan 7, 2016
I handled all the issues with my Residency application by EMAIL. Only had to deal with FedEx to get actual documents, etc. to the office in Santo Domingo. I didn't deal with a law firm that "specializes" in Residencies, but used a full-service law firm with a national and international reputation. You shouldn't feel like you couldn't contact your attorney here by email...they all use it, the good ones and the bad ones!

Aug 29, 2017
Thank you I will email them again. I just feel as though I'm being more annoying since this would have been the fourth time within the span of 2 weeks...
I handled all the issues with my Residency application by EMAIL. Only had to deal with FedEx to get actual documents, etc. to the office in Santo Domingo. I didn't deal with a law firm that "specializes" in Residencies, but used a full-service law firm with a national and international reputation. You shouldn't feel like you couldn't contact your attorney here by email...they all use it, the good ones and the bad ones!

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
" reputable" immigration "lawyer"

I've been trying to get my residency for the Dominican Republic for retirement recently.

Of course I hired a reputable immigration lawyer in the capital, but it has been a while since I last heard from the firm. Last I heard from them was August 11th in which it was confirmed that they received my documents to start the process, however it is now the 30th. Since then I have followed up with a few emails and have not heard back. Is it worth emailing again or is email just not a common business practice the way it is in the States? Again I'm not asking to see if my residency is ready just asking for an update on the case. Not too sure what to do...

" reputable" immigration "lawyer" hmmm.... unfortunately in this country there are as common as snowfall.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

Post their details.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

Gringo do you speak Spanish ? If not I will give them a quick call if you wish. 

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

If they are not answering your e-mails pick up the phone and call them, however, in two weeks nothing will change much. Have they walked you through the chest x-ray, blood and urine samples in Santo Domingo? If you havn't done this along with the paper work then you need to.

Feb 7, 2007
Pick up the phone and if you cannot get in touch in 2-3 days, then start worrying, not now.

The Dominican Congress now instituted a 1.5 cent tax on every incoming international minute, but it's still under 3 U.S. cents per minute to call to Santo Domingo ...

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
How much have you paid them so far? If you paid them in full it might be harder to get a response as thier motivation is somewhat decreased. If you just gave them a deposit then having a conversation about your expectations would be in order.
Good luck.