Things to do..

Aug 29, 2017
Hello, I am new here and going to Santo Domingo for the first time next time for the first time. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do solo while in the capital -- especially things outside of the obvious (Plaza Espana, Cathedral, Zona Colonial, El Conde, etc.). Also suggestions on where to eat would be great! Also if anyone knows of any place in the capital to get a haircut for a black man would be great too since I will be there for a while :)

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
The haircut for you won't be a problem, most Dominicans have the same type of hair as you probably have. On every corner of any street I would say.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Hello, I am new here and going to Santo Domingo for the first time next time for the first time. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do solo while in the capital -- especially things outside of the obvious (Plaza Espana, Cathedral, Zona Colonial, El Conde, etc.). Also suggestions on where to eat would be great! Also if anyone knows of any place in the capital to get a haircut for a black man would be great too since I will be there for a while :)

If you smoke cigars there are some nice clubs and places.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Welcome to Wonderland!
My favorite thing to do while in the Capital is hop on a bus and
come home to Santiago :cheeky:

If you have the time, you should give it a shot. Ya won't be disappointed.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Adrian tropical is a nice restaurant on the malecon...and a day trip to jarabacoa is very enjoyable

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

Not being a black man I will toss in my experiences. The women don't cut men's hair as a general rule. They send you to the barber, I have walked in to probably 40 different beauty shops and asked if they cut men's hair and always except once i was sent to the barber just over there.

150 to 200 pesos is the price for a haircut, but the one woman who did cut my hair used scissors, spent a half hour at it (I am basically bald) and she charged me 400 pesos.
Der Fish

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Derf

ONLY women cut my hair... with scissors - no power tools.

Yup....400-450 pesos..... $25 in Canada.....that's $20US

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Here are lot of things around the island.

The trike flight in Santo Domingo are cool, but if you travel the island there is plenty to do.... Enjoy.

http://xpotours.com/

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
When are you coming?

Sunday night - las ruinas del san francisco free concert

Day trip - Caribe Tours to Santiago for lunch near the monument

Late lunch - Agora Mall

Evening Dinner - Hard Rock or Chilli's in Blue Mall

Afternoon walk - go a few blocks north of el conde, La Sirena area

Beach day trip - autobus expresso to boca chica

Be sure to sign up for Uber

ElVenao

Mar 16, 2017
Bro! dominican gringo.... interwebz is your best friend buddeh

Trip Advisor even has a "Things to do Section", rated by actual tourists:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...minican_Republic.html#ATTRACTION_SORT_WRAPPER

Top 15:

1. Catedral Primada de America
2. The 3 Eyes National Park
3. Zona Colonial
4. Alcazar de Colon
5. Agora Mall (Why The F is this in here, LMAO)
6. Calle Las Damas (should be merged to Zona Colonial)
7. Museum of Royal Houses
8. Parque Colon
9. National Botanical Garden
10. National Pantheon
11. Santo Domingo Metro (for real?)
12. Fort Ozama
13. Plaza de Espana
14. Chuchu Colonial
15. Kah Kow Experience

OK, maybe tripadvisor wasn't that helpful. Or maybe the city don't got much stuff going on. You should also go to Columbus Lighthouse. Its pretty much Zona Colonial after that.

This page has a day by day schedule of things to do in Santo Domingo:
www.quehacerhoy.com.do

The categories are "Happy Hours", Music, Food, Movies(why should movies be there), Theater, Art & Culture, for Kids, Sports, Tourism and Miscellaneous.
It is great to find Jazz Nights, Concerts, Small Local Musicians, Theater plays, and random events.

This page has tickets for concerts, events, etc.:

www.uepatickets.com

This webpage provides ratings for restaurants and lists them according to your needs
www.bocao.com.do

You can also check tourists ratings/assessment of restaurants in tripadvisor:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...anto_Domingo_Province_Dominican_Republic.html

I would personally recommend visiting the following restaurants/food places while you stay here in Santo Domingo:

1. Pat'e Palo (European Food)
2. Barra Payan (Street Food - Sandwiches)
3. Meson D'Bari (Traditional Dominican Food Restaurant)
4. Nipau (God Knows what? Its gotta be fusion because they cook every type of food lol)
5. Il Caminetto (Pizzas - Very Small Restaurant)
6. Nau Lounge (Japanese/Sushi)
7. El Gallego (Spanish Food)
8. Papaupa (Vegeterian Restaurant - Very Informal/Casual)
9. Chancho Gusto (Street Food - Chicharrones y Mofongo)
10. Sapori D'Italia (Small Italian Restaurant)
Pop Culture Bonus: Adrian Tropical (Traditional Dominican Food)

There's ton of stuff happening, its just not that straightforward to find when and where.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
And, there is a relatively new, open grill bar-b-q open air restaurant, that has fantastic ribs, fish, chicken, and grilled veggies. It's Bambino Grill very close to the CZ in Gazcue. Excellent!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
And, there is a relatively new, open grill bar-b-q open air restaurant, that has fantastic ribs, fish, chicken, and grilled veggies. It's Bambino Grill very close to the CZ in Gazcue. Excellent!

hahaha, you found my secret spot. LOL

I usually bring a bottle of wine and I am all set for some good eating. On avenida bolivar, 50 meters past calle pasteur (Gazcue, SD). Open weekend evenings.

2133b48.jpg

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
DO NOT get a haircut on the pedestrian drag. Any of the sketchy looking places on the side streets are fine. Dominicans are known to be master barbers.  They cover your face with noxema cream at the end.  Tell them if you don't want it.  200-300 pesos.  Those crooks on the main drag charge way more than that.  Get the price in advance.  There is a gringo tax. 

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I second The mention of Sunday afternoon early evening concerts at "las ruinas ". That neighborhood is San Carlos and has a nice vibe. Day time is safe.