Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What ever happened to compassion

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry What ever happened to compassion

Last week a young girl (25) whom we have been helping over the years had a motorcycle accident.
    It was at night, and no helmet was worn.
    A couple of guys carried her to the local free clinic and dropped her off.
    When she tried to identify herself her wallet was gone. Then she tried to call my home, but the cell was gone.
    The night staff would not treat her because she could produce the cedula. They also would not call my home.
    It wasn't until the next day when we found about the accident. WE found her huddled in the corner of a building.
    Unconscious and bleeding.
    It was then that Espossa took her back to the Clinic... there was hell to pay.

The girl had severe head injuries and Brain swelling..... not at all herself ; thinks she is 8 years old.

WE are trying to get her treated but with little success.
    This is a crying shame, and there is little one can do about it.
    Today she has finally got a consult with a Neurologist... she should be in ICU not driving around in the back seat of a car .... 1 1/2 hours to hospitals in Santiago.
    I am just frustrated .... thanks for listening.
    Russell

2. Likes zoomzx11, rubio_higuey, Garyexpat, wuarhat liked this post
    99.9% Regular User
    Post Thanks / Like

From the reports that I have read and the videos I have seen, I kind of expect my wallet to disappear if I prang up my moto. I carry photocopies of my passport, cedula, insurance card and contact info for two people on my moto, under the sole insert of my shoe and in another pocket in an old plastic car insurance case. If they take my moto, my shoes and my wallet, hopefully they will leave the small plastic folder with nothing but photocopies in it.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear that. Hope she pulls through.

And yeah, you just want to really hurt the two creeps that brought her to clinic.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you had to go true that. It is indeed a cruel society!  I wish all the best for that girl.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You live there and know the people How's this a surprise
    ?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    From the reports that I have read and the videos I have seen, I kind of expect my wallet to disappear if I prang up my moto. I carry photocopies of my passport, cedula, insurance card and contact info for two people on my moto, under the sole insert of my shoe and in another pocket in an old plastic car insurance case. If they take my moto, my shoes and my wallet, hopefully they will leave the small plastic folder with nothing but photocopies in it.
    This is an interesting approach. I just have one inquiry: If they pull you over or a cop detains you, would the photocopies suffice? When doing generic errands, do photocopies suffice?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    Last week a young girl (25) whom we have been helping over the years had a motorcycle accident.
    It was at night, and no helmet was worn.
    A couple of guys carried her to the local free clinic and dropped her off.
    When she tried to identify herself her wallet was gone. Then she tried to call my home, but the cell was gone.
    The night staff would not treat her because she could produce the cedula. They also would not call my home.
    It wasn't until the next day when we found about the accident. WE found her huddled in the corner of a building.
    Unconscious and bleeding.
    It was then that Espossa took her back to the Clinic... there was hell to pay.

The girl had severe head injuries and Brain swelling..... not at all herself ; thinks she is 8 years old.

WE are trying to get her treated but with little success.
    This is a crying shame, and there is little one can do about it.
    Today she has finally got a consult with a Neurologist... she should be in ICU not driving around in the back seat of a car .... 1 1/2 hours to hospitals in Santiago.
    I am just frustrated .... thanks for listening.
    Russell
    Compassion is very much alive with you and your wife. Nice thing you are doing for this poor victim.

9. Likes ben jammin, rubio_higuey liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend who was in an accident while in a taxi. The driver died and my friend was unconscious for about 3-4 minutes. When he came to, people were emptying the pockets of the driver and my friend's pockets had already been emptied... He was carrying $ 1,600 in cash for a deposit on an apartment.... But when you live here long enough, you expect nothing less.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Like a lion preying on an injured Wildebeest in the Serengeti. She was an easy mark. Van happen anywhere but seems more prevalent in the D.R.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Those cases are always hard to swallow.

They passed a new law just this year finally making it a crime to extract personal belongings from someone involved in an accident. Not sure how many cases will be prosecuted under this law, not exactly the easiest case to prove, but it's a first step. Also, by law, hospitals and clinics are required to stabilize a patient even if they do not have insurance or a means to pay. If it's a public clinic, I'm sure they must get several similar cases a week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast