A swimming pool at PUJ?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Really?

The World’s Coolest Airport Swimming Pool Opens Later This Year

According to Travel + Leisure, Punta Cana International Airport (PUJ) is in the process of adding a new lounge with a unique feature: a swimming pool overlooking airport operations. Based on a rendering shared by the airport management group, the pool will be mere feet away from airliners bringing tourists to this Dominican Republic hotspot.

Artists Rendering:

PUJ_zpsbgdzax8p.jpg

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Why? I wonder if people are going to hang around an airport to swim on the way to their resort?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
They actually have one at MIA(or used to anyway)along with a gym, lockers, and showers, but it's not located out on the ramp where you're going to be subjected to the noise of tugs, fuel trucks, APU's, and jet engines. Those rampers are wearing David Clark type ear clamps and ear plugs for a good reason!

Last edited:

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Why? I wonder if people are going to hang around an airport to swim on the way to their resort?

No, but I think with the 3 hours you have to wait at the airport after the AI kicks you out on departure day could make this a busy lounge.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Nice. Airports are adding new amenities all over. There are gatos that live in the airport. I hope they can hang out there also. I feed the gatos when I go through there.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I guess if you haven't had enough of the urine saturated pool bars at the AI this is the way to go before you board your plane. Yuk

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One would not expect it to be in a spot where a swimmer could walk over and touch the airplanes.

And true there is nothing like the smell of Jet A.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
One would not expect it to be in a spot where a swimmer could walk over and touch the airplanes.

And true there is nothing like the smell of Jet A.

The artist's rendition does show a chain link fence that would prevent swimmers from just walking over to the aircraft, but the ramp is a highly restricted area. I'd be surprised if the gov and the TSA would consider that adequate security(?)

http://www.travelandleisure.com/airlines-airports/airport-swimming-pool

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's not absolutely clear from the artist's rendition but I don't think it's supposed to be at ground level.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hmm...

Premium tourist arrives at airport...

After checking in and going through the BS, turns out its snowing in horrible winterville... flight delayed for 3 hours...

Hmm... what to do, what to do?????

Horrible, just horrible.