Thread: Traveling on or near residency renewal date

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Traveling on or near residency renewal date

Hello everyone! I am planning a trip to the US next Spring and it will overlap the renewal/expiration date for my permanent residency. Any advice on how to plan for that? I definitely do not want to pay overstay fees since I've been here seven years and have already paid for temporary and permanent residency. But usually, the lawyer wants my residency card well in advance of my renewal date. Advice welcome...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by judypdr View Post
    Hello everyone! I am planning a trip to the US next Spring and it will overlap the renewal/expiration date for my permanent residency. Any advice on how to plan for that? I definitely do not want to pay overstay fees since I've been here seven years and have already paid for temporary and permanent residency. But usually, the lawyer wants my residency card well in advance of my renewal date. Advice welcome...
    Ask your lawyer to get you a certificate from DGM that your RP-1 is being renewed. I had that situation a few years back and they gave me a pink form, signed and stamped by DGM that passport control accepted both on the outbound and return journeys.

3. Likes CFA123 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanell View Post
    Ask your lawyer to get you a certificate from DGM that your RP-1 is being renewed. I had that situation a few years back and they gave me a pink form, signed and stamped by DGM that passport control accepted both on the outbound and return journeys.
    Terrific! Thanks so much...One less thing to worry about