Traveling on or near residency renewal date

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Hello everyone! I am planning a trip to the US next Spring and it will overlap the renewal/expiration date for my permanent residency. Any advice on how to plan for that? I definitely do not want to pay overstay fees since I've been here seven years and have already paid for temporary and permanent residency. But usually, the lawyer wants my residency card well in advance of my renewal date. Advice welcome...

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Hello everyone! I am planning a trip to the US next Spring and it will overlap the renewal/expiration date for my permanent residency. Any advice on how to plan for that? I definitely do not want to pay overstay fees since I've been here seven years and have already paid for temporary and permanent residency. But usually, the lawyer wants my residency card well in advance of my renewal date. Advice welcome...

Ask your lawyer to get you a certificate from DGM that your RP-1 is being renewed. I had that situation a few years back and they gave me a pink form, signed and stamped by DGM that passport control accepted both on the outbound and return journeys.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Ask your lawyer to get you a certificate from DGM that your RP-1 is being renewed. I had that situation a few years back and they gave me a pink form, signed and stamped by DGM that passport control accepted both on the outbound and return journeys.

Terrific! Thanks so much...One less thing to worry about :)