Hair Salon

lacyla123

Oct 19, 2016
Ladies,

Where does everyone get their hair coloured in Las Terrenas / Samana area and what's the standard like?
Is there a requirement for a modern hair salon here or is it fairly saturated already?
I'm a qualified hairdresser looking to open a modest yet professional hair salon.
Have lived here for 3 years and worked in teaching so I know the country well and speak fluently.

Thanks

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Always a problem in my feminine household.

There used to be good colorist in Sosua but he died.
Women came from distances for him.

I expect there is a need for your services.... qualified services.
Especially the tourist/ex-pat areas.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks for the reply, what about Samana? Is it the same there?

No, Samana City is nothing like Las Terrenas. There is some tourism but mostly locals. I would say not a big demand for a salon style business. In LT, when I lived there there was a number of ex-pats, from Italy and France that had full service Salons. Also you can price your services higher in LT. There is always room for another but you need to really to do your homework and talk to people in LT and see what is out there. You might want to consider working for someone else to start and get a feel for the marketplace.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Right LT

and lacyla.... consider that Sosua Cabarete has the region to draw from....
LT & Samana do not have that.

Of LTS is right , there may be too many already unless you have something different to offer

lacyla123

Oct 19, 2016
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I worked in London for years and had my own salon outside of London, but don't want to compete there with the Dominican salon pricing. I'd be using higher end colour and a higher end service. I've noticed two main salons in LT, one Dominican owned and one french owned, but I shall dig deeper to understand whether it's a little saturated or whether there's room for what I can offer. Maybe the capital would be better positioned for this.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
One of the few things here that are worldclass

Ladies,

Where does everyone get their hair coloured in Las Terrenas / Samana area and what's the standard like?
Is there a requirement for a modern hair salon here or is it fairly saturated already?
I'm a qualified hairdresser looking to open a modest yet professional hair salon.
Have lived here for 3 years and worked in teaching so I know the country well and speak fluently.

Thanks

There isn't one place in the entire country with a shortage of Hair salons. This said, where there are 20, there is always space and costumers for # 21. But keep in mind; the Dominican hair salons do an EXTREMELY good job for very few money. Sometimes they charge 8-10$ for a Job that would cost you 70-120$US in the US.

Very dificult to make a living in this business.

lacyla123

Oct 19, 2016
Thanks for replying. Yeh the Dominican salons are good value for money. I had my hair done in a Dominican salon, and although there was nothing wrong with it - I preferred the European styles and so I paid that bit more to go regularly somewhere else in Cabarete. So i'm just curious as to whether there's a market for something more premium. But yeh I completely take that on board - Dominicans are brilliant hairdressers. I'm not fussy about where I setup (if I do), i'm just thinking that the capital or LT may be better suited for this.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Look at 'Reverse' in Sto Dom...... just as one example

The capital is where the money gets higher and the service goes up.

lacyla123

Oct 19, 2016
Yeh Reverse is a great salon and similar to what i'm thinking of but initially on a smaller scale. I think i've answered my own question really! Thanks for your efforts!