Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Places to Live in DR

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Places to Live in DR

This is thread is aimed at regulars who live and have lived around the country to debate and offer advice to others. And also for others who visit regularly and have lived here to chip in with their thoughts too.

I've had a less than pleasant week working away from my current home and have had a few PM's this evening with a regular DR1 contributor who lives in the area, that for me, is proving to be one of the worst parts of the country to live for part of the week. He doesn't like the place where I live either so it struck me a useful debate was possible amongst regular contributors to post their opinions of the better places where they have lived stating the pros (and cons) and the better options for future visitors and long term stayers. And post opinions of where they would consider to be the better paces to live in DR.

It is easy for me to say go Samana, Las Terrenas and Las Galleras. Done that but I don't want to be a perpetual tourist. Great place and I am sure that some will argue the case.

And so especially the East Coast and also North Coast will not appeal either to me for the longer term. But I'm not the average joe.

Going west from SD has some great chilled out possibilities and we have a sprinkling of members who should chip in and promote their part of the world (less one valuable contributor who recently departed from the community RIP). I love the mountains and especially in the South West but there are other regulars that will promote the northern mountain valleys too.

I have a liking for SD despite it's flaws but the proximity of some wonderful country makes it even better. Have lived to the north west towards Bonao and that is lovely country but the area I will promote now is Monte Plata province. Best of all worlds imo.

2. Likes caribmike, El Mayimbe, Dolores liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Constanza.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread. We have lived in only two places, Santo Domingo and Juan Dolio since 2007. I'm a big city type of guy so obviously for me Santo Domingo is great. I love the many restaurants, nightlife and crazy people that you always find in big cities. We also really enjoyed a short 9 month stay in Juan Dolio. To me it reminded me a little of South Beach in Miami, Florida (poor mans version of South Beach). I have visited almost every part of the DR and my favorite place to visit and possibly live in the future is Las Tarrenas. Very beautiful place and just enough action to keep me from getting bored.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

As a non big city person I hate Santo Domingo. I even hate going there for the several reasons the government has that can only be done by going there. It is not just the horrible traffic. If someone paid me just to live in Santo Domingo and not have to do any work, I would not take them up on it.

I have visited Las Terrenas. Too many French people there. Visited Samana once and were supposed to spend the night. Samana, for some reason, creeped out my wife so much we drove home. We have visited Jarabacoa many times to visit family members. It is OK, but neither of us would want to live there despite my wife being born there.

We live in Cabarete and have for 14 years since I moved to the DR.

6. Likes ROLLOUT liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't write off the north coast as 'Tourist'.... it definitely is not .

Sure - POP, Sosua & Cabarete ... the port area, etc....

Nagua is no tourist trap, I assure you

It is a very long stretch of low density population with several beaches and towns.
    Notably Gaspar Hernandez, Rio San Juan, Cabrera, Payita, Nagua.... and many smaller in between
    Very few hotels....

Worth a look- IMO

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You forget a Place William!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

yes.... yours !!

Magente ? is that right

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes! Beautiul Village..not.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

We personally like to live near the beach. We've been in a beach town since the late 70s, but this place [San Cristobal province, west of SD] has become less and less appealing the past few years. We both like the Dominicus/Bayahibe area, and may end up there.

I've always been a city girl, Manhattan is my favorite city in the world, so I like being near to SD. Mr.AE, who grew up in Santo Domingo, is a country boy. That we both love Dominicus says a lot.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

City fan I prefer Santo Domingo so far because of the amenities. I work online from home and in SD I have 24 h power, the fastest internet etc. etc.

I have lived before in (sorted chronological):

Luperon
    Maria La O Sosua
    Puerto Plata (Urb Atlantica, Cerro Alto)
    Bavaro (Veron, Pueblo Bavaro)
    Higuey (Luisa Perla)
    Santo Domingo (Miramar)
    Santo Domingo (Los Restauradores) now

Most beautiful parts (not for living but for the landscape) for me are Samana and the SW but by far the most beautiful part is the SW, went all the way from SD to Pedernales recently.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast