Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Places to Live in DR

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Don't write off the north coast as 'Tourist'.... it definitely is not .

Sure - POP, Sosua & Cabarete ... the port area, etc....

Nagua is no tourist trap, I assure you

It is a very long stretch of low density population with several beaches and towns.
    Notably Gaspar Hernandez, Rio San Juan, Cabrera, Payita, Nagua.... and many smaller in between
    Very few hotels....

Worth a look- IMO

And don't forget, Sabaneta de Yasica, my place for the last 2.5 years. Before I lived in Munoz and Puerto Plata.

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have lived in Juan Dolio, Esperanza and now in a campo near Moncion. I would not want to live anywhere else than where I live now. I have visited the whole country and adore the south west which I have visited often as my husband is from Barahona. I also like Las Terrenas and hate Santo Domingo.

The problem is that there are so many things to consider about where to live and it also comes down to what you need and/or want. Where I live now there are no motoconchos - you need a car, or a donkey or you walk. In addition there is no supermarket, little cell phone signal, no vet, and you have to speak Spanish so it is not for everyone.

If you love great restaurants you would not want to live here either - there is only one place which serves only stewed goat.

Funnily enough I only ended up here as I started a thread on DR1 back in 2010 when I was looking for somewhere new to live and to leave Juan Dolio and listed my requirements - no tourists, nice friendly people, low crime, near mountains rather than beach and around an hour from a major city with hospitals and an airport. Someone mentioned Mao, so we came and sussed it out, and that's how we ended up here as Mao is 20 minutes from where I live now.

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only Forum
    www.DR1.com

3. Likes ju10prd liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I've lived in Nagua, Sosua, Santo Domingo and Santiago.
    For me, Santiago is my favorite.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

There is enough for everyone in RD.

A wide selection to suit all tastes and budgets.

That's one of the great things about the country...
    to say nothing of the elbow room afforded to all !!

6. Likes Squat, drstock liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say that a huge factor is to be away from the noise. It is getting harder and harder.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have lived in Cabarete for seven years and so far I'm happy here. From my visits to the DR's cities, I wouldn't like to live in any of them. Even Santo Domingo's Colonial Zone is nothing compared to many old cities I have visited in Europe. Inland country is beautiful but I think I might get bored there. If I wasn't living here I might consider Bayahibe or Las Terrenas.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

For me is Santiago, it has everything I need and want plus is not far away from beautiful mountains and beaches. But perhaps I am biased being a Santiaguero de pura cepa which comes with a ridiculous pride and being raised in the city.

10. Likes CristoRey liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Don't write off the north coast as 'Tourist'.... it definitely is not .

Sure - POP, Sosua & Cabarete ... the port area, etc....

Nagua is no tourist trap, I assure you

It is a very long stretch of low density population with several beaches and towns.
    Notably Gaspar Hernandez, Rio San Juan, Cabrera, Payita, Nagua.... and many smaller in between
    Very few hotels....

Worth a look- IMO
    I concur and Nagua can be fun too. I think you have found one of the better coastal locations when all things considered.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

What is attracting me to Monte Plata is the lovely rolling hills and lush valleys and it is only an hour or so from the capital and the city essentials.

Apparently as I read, there are more millionaires living in Monte Plata than other provinces and I assume National District is excluded. I can believe it.

My lady's abuela and tias/tios live in a very modest location to the north of Monte Plata town and West of Sabana so I have the opportunity to explore.

Where I previously lived in the campo was a short mule trek to the top of the ridge of hills that run alongside the east side of Autopista Duarte north of Villa Altagracia. I discovered it is the line between San Cristobel and Monte Plata provinces. Did that trek by foot several times to what was my ex-esposas home of birth in those Monte Plata lovely hills without a road in sight.

13. Likes CristoRey liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Great post. I've been to Rio San Juan, Cabarete, Sosua, San Pedro, La Romana, Juan Dolio and Quisqueya. I prefer the small town. My wife is from Quisqueya so one day we'll probably return there to live.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast