Help me, please!!!!!!!!!!!

CHERYL.W

Mar 14, 2002
I am planning to move to live in Puerto Plata in either May or June with my dominican boyfriend who i met on holiday in november, (i know that this sounds pretty soon, but i don't enjoy my job here and have lived away from home before)

The problem that I am having is finding a job, I would consider most types of jobs but dont know how to get started.

I have tried e mailing different places but either get no reply or told that they have no jobs.

If anyone either knows of any jobs or can just give me advice then i will be very very grateful.

Thank you

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I suggest you search the archives. You may find one or two horror stories of girls that did exactly what you are planning on doing.

Forget about finding a job if you are not here. I have yet to hear of anyone finding a job in the Dominican Republic whilst still living overseas.

I strongly recommended you spend sometime here getting to know the country before making the decision to move here. Don't be surprised if you find out your just another "gringa" to your new Dominican boyfriend. Please don't tell me you met him at a resort?

I know this all sounds rather pessimistic, just telling you like it is in most cases, I hope I'm wrong.

WhiteWave

Mar 5, 2002
Cheryl,
I totally understand where you are coming from. I, as well, met a wonderful local man whilst I was in Sosua 2 weeks ago. I cannot even tell you how many people have told me that I was just another gringa to him. I know for a fact that I was/am not. It is hard to get by that stereotype, but do what your heart tells you. I, as well am planning on moving to Sosua in July or Aug. I am not, however, moving there for him. I am moving there because the environment, people, weather, slower pace of life appeals to me. I currently live in Toronto and am getting very sick of the materialism and rat race. The fact that I have good friends to rely on when I get to Sosua is just a bonus. Don't worry about a job there. Just make enough money to sustain you for a while when you get there and look while you are there. I am in the same process right now. It also helps that you a have place to stay so you don't have to pay rent right away. Good luck to you.
WW

CHERYL.W

Mar 14, 2002
whit wave, thank you for a really nice answer. I feel exactly the same. i would love to have your e mail address so that you can keep me updated on how things r going

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Reality Check Pls.......

WW you may have the right attitude as long as you have sufficient funds to carry you for a while in the llifestyle you have become accustomed to living in Toronto. May I ask how many times you've been to the DR?? and for how long each time? and where were you staying??
Cheryl....you must still believe in Santa Claus......get a life girl.....anyone who meets someone in a resort (especially in this country) for two weeks....carries on a Long Distance romance and expects to move here to spend their life with the love of their life neesds to have their head examined!!!!
(Before you try to bite off mine....let me tell you that I married the love of my life four months after meeting him! We've been married 33 yrs........however I met him at home in Canada...we spent every day together....I met his family in the US before we married and I didn't leave home on a whim and a prayer!!)

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
On a wing and a prayer....Not whim...

MommC, that's a bit harsh, don't you think? Golo is rubbing off on you! ;)

My going to the DR was the BEST thing that ever happened to me - and don't think a million and one people didn't tell me not to do it. I think the real question should be, "what have I got to lose?" Broken hearts mend, after all. But the experience could be a once in a lifetime...

(Hey, White Wave - I sent you an email and you never responded...Was it something I said?)

CHERYL.W

Mar 14, 2002
i havent just been there for 2 weeks, i have since been back for a week when he wasnt working, met his family, friends and spent 24 hours a day with him for the whole week.

I am not just moving there for him, i want a new life away from rainy miserable england.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Being English...

"rainy miserable england".
I can relate to that. Trust me, living here, is 180 degrees different from actually being here on vacation.

Once again, I strongly recommened you come here with enough cash to burn for a few months. Test the waters before taking a dive...

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
oh please!

Here is yet another case of someone who has met someone in the DR and is not just anothe 'gringa' to them. Stereotypes are stereotypes, and they are often true, but not always. Anyone who believes they are and judges everyone they see by them, or even better, merely reads about on a message board, needs to have their head examined too!

CHERYL.W

Mar 14, 2002
bugsey34

bugtsey34 - i dont really understand if your comment was good or bad???????????????????

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Whim.....not Wing

I really did mean whim.....Must the the age thing but having lived down here for so long I can tell you honestly the Jane J is the exception rather than the rule.
Anyone who thinks after a two week vacation and a one week love in...they know enough about a country to pull up roots and move there still needs to have their head examined.....
Robert said it.....as did I to WW.
Don't burn your bridges at home....see if you can take a six month leave without pay from your job.....bring enough money to burn for six months.....THEN decide if you want to stay. If you still love it here, you'll have had time to scout for jobs, living quarter (you'll know by then if the love of your life still is!), you'll have friends, you'll know the living conditions etc.

Yes stereotypes are just that....however it takes more than three weeks to know wether you've hooked up with the exception or just another stereotype.

Search the archives, read the other threads in living & open on these subjects and pay heed to the experience of other, perhaps wiser, folks!

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
my post was meant to be good... as in I am another case of someone who has met someone there...

search the archives by clicking the search button at the top of the screen and when you perform the search you can limit it on one of the pulldowns to only search the archives.

CHERYL.W

Mar 14, 2002
i dont think that i know someone after only 3 weeks i just know that i am not going to get to know him staying in another country. i also never called him the love of my life

and i believe in what people say, i am not stupid or naive, i have been hurt really badly before but, just because it didnt work out with him doesnt mean that every man is the same.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Use the SEARCH button at the top of this page. I don't know what keywords you're going to use though...

Gringa - sanky - boyfriend (don't use the dashes though)

(I'm not saying you're a gringa with a sanky boyfriend, I'm just trying to think how to find those horror stories mentioned earlier....)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Boyfriend or Boy Friend

There is a difference.......I can't imagine anyone moving to a foreign country after a vacation of two weeks and a "personal" visit of one week to live with a Boy Friend. As for boyfriend it take more than a vacation romance and a one week visit to become familiar enough with a person to consider them more than just a boy friend or girl friend.
Now if Cheryl had said she was thinking of leaving cold,wet,England to experience what life in the DR would be like I'd be much more confident that her experience will be a good one.........As El Jefe said........