Vaccination for Hepatitis B in Sosua/Cabarete area?

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Start calling the Farmacias to see who has the Vaccine. You buy it from them, and any doctor can administer it. Vaccines for hep A are in short supply right now, but there shouldn't be a problem for B.

Good luck.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Some farmacias will do the injection onsite for you. That's how I get my flu shot.

Jan 17, 2009
I don't know about hep b, but last time I needed shots for travel I went to CMC and they had them all, even those that are not required here.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Another option is go see Dr Freddy Salazar on Dr. Rosen in Sosua. He's next to Steak n Sirloin (?) on the curve.
He'll write you the correct script, you go pick it up, return and he administers it.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Unless the protocols changed, I believe the Hep B vaccine requires two shots spaced six months apart? 

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Unless the protocols changed, I believe the Hep A vaccine requires two shots spaced six months apart? 

For Hep A this is true too, and it needs 3-4 weeks after the injections to render full effectiveness. But alert - Hep vaccines can be fatal in some rare cases - if after the injection you suffer extreme weakness, prolonged fever, dizziness and shortness of breath you have to get admitted to a hospital. Everyone gets a sore arm and slight fever.
There are 4 vaccines for type A but not sure of their name in Spanish
Havrix
Vaqata,
Avaxim,
Epaxa.

For Hep B:

Twinrix,
Pediarix, maybe more.

But a large percentage of 3rd world countries people contract Hep A, and never know it, and it clears on its own after a few weeks in healthy people (usually), giving you a lifetime immunity.
Hep B is much more serious and you can contract Hepatitis from the injection as well, and it triggers rheumatoid arthritis in a high percentage of patients and some auto immune diseases, Lupus and Psoriasis to name two.
https://academic.oup.com/rheumatolo...eumatic-disorders-developed-after-hepatitis-B

I had a friend who traveled overseas for years in oil rig work - He got the injections and now he does have some auto immune diseases and arthritis in his back (Maybe a connection? ) I refused the Hep injections while stationed in the Middle East as I had read up on the effects before they were recommended. (This was per-internet too !). Maybe just be careful and if you have cuts on your feet don't wear sandals in the streets in Sosua, Cabarete or Puerto Plata or any other city in DR - just look at the sewerage in the gutters and be wise.

luperongringo

Jun 16, 2016
For Hep A this is true too, and it needs 3-4 weeks after the injections to render full effectiveness. But alert - Hep vaccines can be fatal in some rare cases - if after the injection you suffer extreme weakness, prolonged fever, dizziness and shortness of breath you have to get admitted to a hospital. Everyone gets a sore arm and slight fever.
There are 4 vaccines for type A but not sure of their name in Spanish
Havrix
Vaqata,
Avaxim,
Epaxa.

For Hep B:

Twinrix,
Pediarix, maybe more.

But a large percentage of 3rd world countries people contract Hep A, and never know it, and it clears on its own after a few weeks in healthy people (usually), giving you a lifetime immunity.
Hep B is much more serious and you can contract Hepatitis from the injection as well, and it triggers rheumatoid arthritis in a high percentage of patients and some auto immune diseases, Lupus and Psoriasis to name two.
https://academic.oup.com/rheumatolo...eumatic-disorders-developed-after-hepatitis-B

I had a friend who traveled overseas for years in oil rig work - He got the injections and now he does have some auto immune diseases and arthritis in his back (Maybe a connection? ) I refused the Hep injections while stationed in the Middle East as I had read up on the effects before they were recommended. (This was per-internet too !). Maybe just be careful and if you have cuts on your feet don't wear sandals in the streets in Sosua, Cabarete or Puerto Plata or any other city in DR - just look at the sewerage in the gutters and be wise.

What can anyone tell me about Hep. C

Jan 17, 2009
No vaccination; strict diet of no alcohol or anything that could damage your liver.  Newer treatment available that can actually cure it.  It worked for my cousin in Brazil, despite having tried all other treatments before and nothing had worked. 

What can anyone tell me about Hep. C