scooter / moto / motorcycle (east coast)

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I've noticed a much wider range of scooters/motorcycles on the road and in sales lots.  Most are Chinese models, (not a deal breaker).  I'm a hefty rider so want something 250cc or better... depending on the bike.  

Suggestions for specific bike?

more importantly, suggestions for a reputable dealer on the east coast????

any idea of a ballpark price I'll need to pay?  

This is mostly for local errands and getting from point a to point b.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Hard to get a 250cc pasola (scooters, as they are called here), the most I have seen here have 125/150cc (or recently 175cc Loncin). Other motos (non-pasola type) have larger engines. You are best stay with Tauro or Loncin these are available everywhere and most importantly their parts are available. Anything that is not sold in numbers here will have problem with repairs, waiting for parts to come from abroad while your bike sitting there getting dust.

If you are just using it for errands a pasola of 150cc should do - they can handle a large load at city speeds. Have some room to store your helmet and are automatic. Although I think they breakdown more and cost more to repair. The CG city type motos you see, mototaxi or motoconchos use, are more resilient and can run for ever if maintained.

If tempted with original Yamaha, Honda or Suzuki, you have to pay a lot more, sure they last longer but go with the ones that are popular here and sold in numbers (for spare parts). I don't know much about those as it's hard to find them in shops in the north coast. And on that note, can't help you with shops in the east either as I am in the north....

Good luck.

e_bro

Jul 21, 2017
I just got a Loncin 175cc and so far, no issue. But I really don't have a lot of kilometers on it yet. But I too am big guy and it has no problems getting me and my novia around the city. It took a bit to get used to it, as it bit squirrelly when I first started riding it. Handles different then a motorcycle. Just take it easy wnen you first start out.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
thanks for the comments.  I'm experienced with both motorcycles and scoots having owned both, (still have my little harley at home).  My post might not have been clear.  More searching for info on the local market.  I did get a very good offer for a great machine... If I was going to be here a little longer for this visit, I would have jumped on it.  If it's still available next time I'm down, hopefully I'll be able to grab it up.