Punta Cana Condo Owners? : Do you have home owners insurance?

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
Punta Cana Condo Owners? : Do you have home owners insurance?
If so what does it cover and Apx how much does it cost?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
don't have it... figure chances of collecting might be dubious.  have heard both good and bad.  I consider myself self insured.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Homeowner Insurance in the DR is like betting with a bookmaker you never met, win, and then hope to collect.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I had it for 5 years and finally realized it was a waste. Even my agent said that it was an absolute crap shoot of ever collecting. To bad he didn't mention that 5 years prior.
The cost is approximately $100USD for every $15,000 of possessions. Don't ever waste your money on hurricane insurance. It's about $3000USD per year, per unit and every unit in your complex would have to have it. It would be easier to herd cats than have 50 plus owners here agree on that expense.
Then try to get a insurance company to pay out on that.

Jan 7, 2016
Only have coverage on the contents of my condo here in PC. Costs a little over $200 US per year for $50,000 US coverage and $500 US deductible. Have only had to use it once for a robbery, and they paid promptly and efficiently. Through a U.S. company that insures State Department Employees and Military Members Overseas. They also do ExPats. Our condo community here has no insurance, like so many others, but we are a distance from the water, so the risk is somewhat less.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Live on a 6th floor in Santo Domingo. Instead of investing in insurance, we invested in good shutters. They worked well for Georges in 1998 (Category 3) and we were ready to bunker in for this one behind the shutters. Don't know how my apartment would have done if SD would have been hit by a Hurricane 5.

I did weather out Hurricane David (Category 5) but that was in a solid concrete home off the Malecon drive in Santo Domingo that was built as a fortress by my father who was a Navy captain who had weathered many storms at sea. That time the storm blew the front doors open (double doors), but we huddled in the kitchen that was a step up in the house. Experience of a lifetime. Remember my father's plan B was to rope us all inside the second floor tower rooms in case the sea moved in. Fortunately, that was not necessary.

Remember my sister wanting us to relocate far up hill to the Dominican Fiesta Hotel (don't remember its name at the time). Instead we stayed at our fortress. The Dominican Fiesta lost too many of its glass balcony doors in the rooms. So we ended up better off at home.

I think it took six months to restore telephone service, and about three months to get power service back. Ice was a luxury for a long time.

Insurance works well for electronics.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Live on a 6th floor in Santo Domingo. Instead of investing in insurance, we invested in good shutters. They worked well for Georges in 1998 (Category 3) and we were ready to bunker in for this one behind the shutters. Don't know how my apartment would have done if SD would have been hit by a Hurricane 5.

I did weather out Hurricane David (Category 5) but that was in a solid concrete home off the Malecon drive in Santo Domingo that was built as a fortress by my father who was a Navy captain who had weathered many storms at sea. That time the storm blew the front doors open (double doors), but we huddled in the kitchen that was a step up in the house. Experience of a lifetime. Remember my father's plan B was to rope us all inside the second floor tower rooms in case the sea moved in. Fortunately, that was not necessary.

Remember my sister wanting us to relocate far up hill to the Dominican Fiesta Hotel (don't remember its name at the time). Instead we stayed at our fortress. The Dominican Fiesta lost too many of its glass balcony doors in the rooms. So we ended up better off at home.

I think it took six months to restore telephone service, and about three months to get power service back. Ice was a luxury for a long time.

I think the Fiesta was Loews back then. We stayed there in '79 when our son was born

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Only have coverage on the contents of my condo here in PC. Costs a little over $200 US per year for $50,000 US coverage and $500 US deductible. Have only had to use it once for a robbery, and they paid promptly and efficiently. Through a U.S. company that insures State Department Employees and Military Members Overseas. They also do ExPats. Our condo community here has no insurance, like so many others, but we are a distance from the water, so the risk is somewhat less.
Name of insurer....link?

Jan 7, 2016
I was thinking the same thing but I think he said it was for military.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The insurance I have is issued by Clements Worldwide in Washington, DC. It is normally available to State Department Employees and Military members, active and retired, but may be available to the general public for U.S. Citizens.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

That house would withstand a nuclear attack. One of my favorites in the city, believe it or not.