Aftermath of Hurricanes Irma & Maria

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread strictly for the aftermath of Hurricane Irma. Feel free to post the conditions where you live or have been since yesterday.

I'll start it off with a report that the bridge between DR and Haiti in Dajabon has collapsed due to the flooding of the Massacre River. Computer translation:

08 SEP 2017, 10:45 AM |NARCISO PÉREZ

Collapse of old bridge that united Dominican Republic with Haiti

DAJABON. The flood of the river Massacre caused last night the fall of the old bridge of Customs and that for more than 40 years served to communicate terrestrially to Haitian citizens and Dominicans, without reporting human casualties.

Ramona Rodriguez, provincial governor confirmed the news and said that bridge was no longer being used and was guarded by military personnel from the Specialized Border Security Corps (CESFRONT), which has a military base there.

Likewise, the representative of the Executive in this province reported that brigades of the Civil Defense transferred to different shelters about 600 people, after floods and landslides in their communities.

In the same way, several communities between Restoration and this province are incomunicadas due to the sliding of several sections carreteros and bridges.

Among the incommunicado sectors are Manuel Bueno and El Pino, in Loma de Cabrera and the Municipality of Restoration.

FOODS

The provincial governor reported that all people housed in shelters or in homes of families, will be given cooked and raw food through the Economic Kitchens.

"We have received instructions from President Danilo Medina to help and support all the families that have been affected by the passage of Hurricane Irma in our region," said Rodríguez.

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...unia-republica-dominicana-con-haiti-EC8114125

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Another collapse, this one a wall of a school in Hato Nuevo, crushing two houses.

School wall collapses in sector Hato Nuevo and destroys two houses

Los Alcarrizos- Two houses were destroyed when one of the walls of the Evangelina Basic School located in the sector Hato Nuevo Manoguayabo collapsed.

According to the regional director general of the brigade, Lic. José A. Acosta Castellanos, the collapse of the wall destroyed two houses owned by Messrs. Manuel Alejandro de Los Santos and Plinio Antonio Madera, which were crushed by the rubble.

General Acosta Castellanos said that according to a report provided by agents of the national police and members of the Civil Defense, the collapse of the wall of the school was registered due to the heavy rain that occurred yesterday afternoon at five in the afternoon and thank God the occupants had been evacuated.

From the early hours of today the director of the regional school 15-05, Licenciado María Álvarez, the director of the Víctor Campusano School and a committee of the society of parents and friends of the school to evaluate the damages were presented to the school center.

Story and photo: http://elnacional.com.do/colapsa-pared-escuela-sector-hato-nuevo-y-destruye-dos-viviendas/

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This story.., I have a problem with. 52 homes that were demolished by Irma in Nagua are going to be rebuilt. What about the 60 meter setback?

Authorities promise to build 52 houses destroyed by Irma effects

SANTO DOMINGO. Authorities promised to rebuild 52 homes in the La Gorda district in Nagua, province María Trinidad Sánchez, which were destroyed during Hurricane Irma on the north coast of the country.

The announcement was made past noon on Friday, during a tour of the area headed by Defense Minister Rubén Paulino Sem; the director of the Police, Ney Aldrin Bautita, and the director of the Social Plan Iris Guaba.

The land for the reconstruction of the houses, which will also be furnished, will be sought in coordination with the Provincial Government.

Regarding other damages in Nagua, Senator Aristides Victoria said he will ask President Danilo Medina to build the malecon and a wall on the malecon in order to avoid future misfortunes.

Photos & story: https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...ndas-destruidas-por-efectos-de-irma-AD8115367

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yaque del Norte River flooding several towns:

Yaque del Norte floods northwest line

SANTIAGO. Communities of the Northwest Line began the dawn of this Friday to be flooded, as a consequence of the flood of the river Yaque del Norte product of the drainage of the dam of Tavera.

In addition to the damages caused in towns such as Castañuelas, Palo Verde and La Guajaca, the flood has also affected agricultural plantations, especially bananas and plantains.

The effects of the dam's drainage begin to be felt this Friday at the Northwest Line for at least three days after starting.

Dozens of houses and commercial establishments in that municipality of the province of Montecristi were flooded this morning, forcing their residents to take refuge in different places.

Earlier this week from the Tavera-Bao reservoir began to be released 320 cubic meters per second through all its gates.
This with the aim of reducing the amount of water before the announcement that yesterday a part of the country would be affected by the powerful hurricane Irma, but today only 55 cubic meters per second are being discharged to the river Yaque del Norte, with a turbination unit .

The inlet flow is 127 cubic meters per second.
It was reported that the condition until this morning of the reservoir is of 316.80 meters on the level of the sea, being its maximum quota of 327 meters.

Photo and story: http://elnacional.com.do/yaque-del-norte-inunda-pueblos-linea-noroeste/

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
This story.., I have a problem with. 52 homes that were demolished by Irma in Nagua are going to be rebuilt. What about the 60 meter setback?

Authorities promise to build 52 houses destroyed by Irma effects

SANTO DOMINGO. Authorities promised to rebuild 52 homes in the La Gorda district in Nagua, province María Trinidad Sánchez, which were destroyed during Hurricane Irma on the north coast of the country.

The announcement was made past noon on Friday, during a tour of the area headed by Defense Minister Rubén Paulino Sem; the director of the Police, Ney Aldrin Bautita, and the director of the Social Plan Iris Guaba.

The land for the reconstruction of the houses, which will also be furnished, will be sought in coordination with the Provincial Government.

Regarding other damages in Nagua, Senator Aristides Victoria said he will ask President Danilo Medina to build the malecon and a wall on the malecon in order to avoid future misfortunes.

Photos & story: https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...ndas-destruidas-por-efectos-de-irma-AD8115367

There were several video clips on Twitter yesterday showing the storm surges into Nagua town which borders right on the coast and onto the playas there.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/nagua?lang=en Scroll down to see pictures and videos especially the one of the surge running up the street and people running away from it.

It is very flat and the surge came inland over the beach some considerable distance and caused the damage.

It is very flat in that area and from a historic perspective back in 1946 when the tsunami hit, it was this area that accounted for most of the deaths and from what I saw yesterday in those video clips it does not surprise me one bit.

I often think when driving along the coast road by Nagua from the east about where to dart to in the event of a tsunami....and there is nowhere near except near the parada in the centre of the town.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i have to give credit to the work teams in POP who have done a great job. i went out for a look this morning, and the place was a disaster. they have really put in some work.

not everything is perfect, of course, what with that absolute joke of a company, Telecable POP, showing their repetitive lettering...no hay senal. what a bunch of tools in that place.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

there is no problem, i think. the article says the area where the houses will be built is going to be coordinated with authorities. so it's not going to be the same spot.

i believe nagua's "waterfront properties" have been destroyed before and the government offered people apartments. which were then promptly sold so that the dwellers could go back to where they lived before, now with more money for romo. and so it goes again...

i have some pics of costambar after irma, will post them later. our power was restored just minutes ago. it was gone since wednesday night. most of the projevt is still without electricity tho.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Spoke with a friend without power who has contacted Edenorte. Those in the Sosua area at least as far east as Lomas are waiting on the delivery of a new transformer or two.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
7:30 AM east of Sosua. Power still out. Generator doing fine.

Same here west of Kite Beach. Odd thing is, we had power after IRMA passed and now it has been off for 23 hours. Edenorte works in mysterious ways. I just spoke to Edenorte. They have no idea when power will be restored. Could be new transformer requirement is what our problem is as well since we are east of Lomas Mironas. No power was visible last night along the highway where I normally see street lights.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There are 30 aqueducts out of service in East and North

ONE MILLION PEOPLE WITHOUT DRINKING WATER IN SEVERAL PROVINCES

Katheryn Luna / Adriana Peguero
adriana.peguero@listindiario.com
Santo Domingo
One million people without potable water services, 24,000 displaced persons and 38 isolated communities were part of the impact of Hurricane Irma on the country.

The operation output of 30 aqueducts affected by the rains left 1,236,860 inhabitants of communities in Santiago, Samaná, Duarte and other provinces without service.

While four bridges were collapsed and 12,829 people remained in official shelters.

Ramón Batista, executive of the National Institute of Potable Waters and Sewers (Inapa), reported that the systems were removed from service due to the turbidity of the waters and the fall of trees that affected the electric energy.

The cause of the cyclone also destroyed 108 homes and 22 provinces remain on alert.

Damages
The Civil Defense reported that in Dajabón the bridges collapsed on the Neita River and the Ramaido glacier that connects El Pino with El Aguacate, Restauración, La Poza, Río Limpio and the Cerezos.

He added that Puerto Rico is also incommunicado with Juana Méndez and in the Palmar de Ocoa some 341 homes are flooded.

Situation
The National Office of Meteorology reported that for today the weather conditions will remain with a very humid and unstable atmosphere, as a result of a medium level trough, which in combination with the humidity left by Hurricane Irma, will generate showers, thunderstorms and occasional gusts of wind towards the end of the afternoon and early hours of the night, in localities of the regions Southeast, Southwest, border area and the Central mountain range.

Meanwhile, the Emergency Operations Center (COE) maintains San Juan and Monte Cristi on red alert.

While in yellow are Samaná, Maria Trinidad Sánchez, Puerto Plata, Dajabón and Valverde.

FOOD AND WATER FOR THE AFFECTED
The State's Economic Canteens distributed thousands of dry combos of food, as well as prepared, to the affected families of Samaná and Sánchez Ramírez, where its administrator, Nicolás Calderón, keeps the mobile kitchens operating until the situation is normal.

The Santo Domingo Aqueduct and Sewer Corporation (CAASD) distributed 142,500 gallons of water to shelters, detachments, clubs and homes in Santo Domingo.

http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...-acueductos-fuera-de-servicio-en-este-y-norte

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I hear that El Choco is out too so must be a large area.

Our Codetel phone works but no signal for internet. Have tried to call but can not get them. Anyone else have this problem? We are on DeLancer now; we have both. Keep in mind that DeLancer servers are in Miami. oops.