Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Drought and the tobacco crop

  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    396
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Drought and the tobacco crop

    Has the drought affected the tobacco crop? My favorite Dominican cigar is LaCaya, and they are all sold out, can't find them anywhere.

  2. #2
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,086
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The drought seems to be over. Is the manufacturer still in business. If not there is a really good place in Otra Banda called Don Fonso. Great cigars and reasonable prices. If your on the east coast.

  3. #3
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    396
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melphis View Post
    The drought seems to be over. Is the manufacturer still in business. If not there is a really good place in Otra Banda called Don Fonso. Great cigars and reasonable prices. If your on the east coast.
    Thanks, I will give them a try.

  4. #4
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,909
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    dont be sure if you find em buy all you can evan at double price remember you saving

  5. #5
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    396
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chic View Post
    dont be sure if you find em buy all you can evan at double price remember you saving
    Do you train the guys who sel them on the beach chic?

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    17,963
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    La Caya is no longer in business...I think I have maybe a box around here somewhere. If you are interested in coming to Santiago, you can have them.

    The better cigars (there are no "best") are made in the Santiago area.(Ooops! I almost made a boo boo. There are super mega excellent cigars made in La Romana by the Garcial/Altadis factory as well as by a guy whose name I can't remember but should. Sorry, since he is a really good blender and was manager of Altadis for over 25 or 30 years!!) Anything outside the area is made with tobacco brought from the area and only rolled elsewhere.
    Which is not to say they might not be good and smokeable. Everything is in the curing and blending of the different leaves.

    There are some long-standing boutique factories that are well-known amongst aficionados.

    Cordially,

    HB

    Moderator DR1.com

  7. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    396
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    La Caya is no longer in business...I think I have maybe a box around here somewhere. If you are interested in coming to Santiago, you can have them.

    The better cigars (there are no "best") are made in the Santiago area.(Ooops! I almost made a boo boo. There are super mega excellent cigars made in La Romana by the Garcial/Altadis factory as well as by a guy whose name I can't remember but should. Sorry, since he is a really good blender and was manager of Altadis for over 25 or 30 years!!) Anything outside the area is made with tobacco brought from the area and only rolled elsewhere.
    Which is not to say they might not be good and smokeable. Everything is in the curing and blending of the different leaves.

    There are some long-standing boutique factories that are well-known amongst aficionados.

    Cordially,

    HB
    Thanks for the great info. Most of my time is spent in Samana but my wife visits Santiago and Bonao. Maybe I will ask her to get them and I would be happy to pay you for them. My favorite was LaCaya Brasil Gordo.

  8. #8
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    396
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    La Caya is no longer in business...I think I have maybe a box around here somewhere. If you are interested in coming to Santiago, you can have them.

    The better cigars (there are no "best") are made in the Santiago area.(Ooops! I almost made a boo boo. There are super mega excellent cigars made in La Romana by the Garcial/Altadis factory as well as by a guy whose name I can't remember but should. Sorry, since he is a really good blender and was manager of Altadis for over 25 or 30 years!!) Anything outside the area is made with tobacco brought from the area and only rolled elsewhere.
    Which is not to say they might not be good and smokeable. Everything is in the curing and blending of the different leaves.

    There are some long-standing boutique factories that are well-known amongst aficionados.

    Cordially,

    HB


    I recently got an email from cubancrafters.com and apparently they are making the La Caya's again.  Just ordered a box of gordos.  Hopefully they will be as good as before.

  9. #9
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,228
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reilleyp View Post
    I recently got an email from cubancrafters.com and apparently they are making the La Caya's again.  Just ordered a box of gordos.  Hopefully they will be as good as before.
    I just looked and they're only $79/box. That's very reasonable. How do they compare with with a similar sized R&J or Montecristo? Maybe a fairer comparison would be with an Aurora(?).
    Last edited by cavok; 11-18-2017 at 11:33 PM.

  10. #10
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reilleyp View Post
    Thanks for the great info. Most of my time is spent in Samana but my wife visits Santiago and Bonao. Maybe I will ask her to get them and I would be happy to pay you for them. My favorite was LaCaya Brasil Gordo.
    Great cigar shop in Las Terrenas, Mundo Puro. Wide selection including their own house brand which is very good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •