Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drought and the tobacco crop

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Drought and the tobacco crop

Has the drought affected the tobacco crop? My favorite Dominican cigar is LaCaya, and they are all sold out, can't find them anywhere.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The drought seems to be over. Is the manufacturer still in business. If not there is a really good place in Otra Banda called Don Fonso. Great cigars and reasonable prices. If your on the east coast.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by melphis View Post
    The drought seems to be over. Is the manufacturer still in business. If not there is a really good place in Otra Banda called Don Fonso. Great cigars and reasonable prices. If your on the east coast.
    Thanks, I will give them a try.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

dont be sure if you find em buy all you can evan at double price remember you saving

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chic View Post
    dont be sure if you find em buy all you can evan at double price remember you saving
    Do you train the guys who sel them on the beach chic?

Post Thanks / Like

La Caya is no longer in business...I think I have maybe a box around here somewhere. If you are interested in coming to Santiago, you can have them.

The better cigars (there are no "best") are made in the Santiago area.(Ooops! I almost made a boo boo. There are super mega excellent cigars made in La Romana by the Garcial/Altadis factory as well as by a guy whose name I can't remember but should. Sorry, since he is a really good blender and was manager of Altadis for over 25 or 30 years!!) Anything outside the area is made with tobacco brought from the area and only rolled elsewhere.
    Which is not to say they might not be good and smokeable. Everything is in the curing and blending of the different leaves.

There are some long-standing boutique factories that are well-known amongst aficionados.

Cordially,

HB

Moderator DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    La Caya is no longer in business...I think I have maybe a box around here somewhere. If you are interested in coming to Santiago, you can have them.

The better cigars (there are no "best") are made in the Santiago area.(Ooops! I almost made a boo boo. There are super mega excellent cigars made in La Romana by the Garcial/Altadis factory as well as by a guy whose name I can't remember but should. Sorry, since he is a really good blender and was manager of Altadis for over 25 or 30 years!!) Anything outside the area is made with tobacco brought from the area and only rolled elsewhere.
    Which is not to say they might not be good and smokeable. Everything is in the curing and blending of the different leaves.

There are some long-standing boutique factories that are well-known amongst aficionados.

Cordially,

HB
    Thanks for the great info. Most of my time is spent in Samana but my wife visits Santiago and Bonao. Maybe I will ask her to get them and I would be happy to pay you for them. My favorite was LaCaya Brasil Gordo.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post

Cordially,

HB

I recently got an email from cubancrafters.com and apparently they are making the La Caya's again.  Just ordered a box of gordos.  Hopefully they will be as good as before.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reilleyp View Post
    I recently got an email from cubancrafters.com and apparently they are making the La Caya's again.  Just ordered a box of gordos.  Hopefully they will be as good as before.
    I just looked and they're only $79/box. That's very reasonable. How do they compare with with a similar sized R&J or Montecristo? Maybe a fairer comparison would be with an Aurora(?).
    Last edited by cavok; 11-18-2017 at 11:33 PM.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reilleyp View Post
    Thanks for the great info. Most of my time is spent in Samana but my wife visits Santiago and Bonao. Maybe I will ask her to get them and I would be happy to pay you for them. My favorite was LaCaya Brasil Gordo.
    Great cigar shop in Las Terrenas, Mundo Puro. Wide selection including their own house brand which is very good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast