Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Sand storm coming !

  1. #1
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    949
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Sand storm coming !

    Did I miss the post about this sand storm coming to DR ! I mean there is no usual panic on DR1 about this one:

    https://m.facebook.com/CDNinformativo/

    I have no idea about the source....

  2. Likes Aguaita29 liked this post
  3. #2
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,075
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well, all will be dry on the runway, bad for Hurricanes...

  4. #3
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    24,729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caribmike View Post
    Well, all will be dry on the runway, bad for Hurricanes...
    Effect on hurricane frequency[edit]
    According to a NASA article,[8] NASA satellites have shown that "the chilling effect of dust was responsible for one-third of the drop in North Atlantic sea surface temperatures between June 2005 and 2006, possibly contributing to the difference in hurricane activity between the two seasons." There were only 5 hurricanes in 2006 and compared with 15 in 2005.

    It is known that one of the major factors that create hurricanes is warm water temperatures on the surface of the ocean. Evidence shows that dust from the Sahara desert caused surface temperatures to be cooler in 2006 than in 2005.

  5. Likes caribmike, Conchman, Russell liked this post
  6. #4
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    24,729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    These are some recommendations for the arrival of Sahara dust on Tuesday to the DR.
    Air quality in the country will be severely affected from Tuesday to the weekend by dust particles from Africa.
    Pneumologists explain that the Sahara dust carries bacteria and spores, which can cause health problems, especially in people who suffer from allergies, are asthmatic or have some immunodeficiency.
    The main recommendation is to use a mask or a wet cloth on the nose, in order to protect the respiratory tract.
    Older children and adults are often the most susceptible to respiratory conditions, so they should not be exposed to overcrowded areas.
    The eyes and skin may also be affected with conjunctivitis or contact dermatitis, respectively.
    It is always advisable to consult with your doctor for any allergy you need.
    During the period of dust particles in RD it is advisable not to be exposed for a long time in the open air, in addition to ingesting a lot of liquid because of the increase of the heat that will generate this phenomenon.
    The best way to know that there is dust from the Sahara in the country is looking at the sky: if it is blue there is no dust, but if it is opaque, foggy or grayish, it is a sign of its presence.
    How can Sahara dust come to the Caribbean?
    The mechanism that causes the transport of this dust from the African continent is the effect of the strong wind that blows for several hours on the desert, generating sand storms that arrive until the coasts of the Atlantic Ocean. The smallest particles of dust and sand rise and are sometimes transported by trade winds to the Caribbean.

  7. Likes DR Solar, Africaida, Russell liked this post
  8. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    949
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Now we need a hurricane to blow this away... lol

  9. #6
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We have been having these dust storms for many years but they have increased in the past decade or so. The dust is very fine, like talcum powder, and a light tan in color. You can feel it when you run your fingers over outside furniture. Some will taste in in their mouth. Keeping outdoor furniture clean and your pool clean becomes a problem More backwashes for your pool.

    It can also get into exposed equipment such as air conditioners that can do some damage over time and clog things up. Car and equipment filters, such as indoor AC units, may need filters cleaned/changed more often.

    And yes, this usually cuts down the amount of moisture in the air and lack of rain and storms. Our several years of drought coincided with these dust storms that lasted several months at a time.

    Effects of this dust has been found as far north as the UK and west to California. It depends on the jet streams and how much original dust was kicked up.

    Really nothing to worry about unless you have a respiratory problem but you should know what medications and precautions you should take.

    Edited after reading above. This dust is also thought to be a factor on why so many coral reefs are dying with the dust choking them.

  10. Likes caribmike, Russell liked this post
  11. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    18,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uzin View Post
    Did I miss the post about this sand storm coming to DR ! I mean there is no usual panic on DR1 about this one:

    https://m.facebook.com/CDNinformativo/

    I have no idea about the source....
    It's in today's DR1 News




    Super Moderator
    DR1.com

  12. #8
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    These are some recommendations for the arrival of Sahara dust on Tuesday to the DR.
    Air quality in the country will be severely affected from Tuesday to the weekend by dust particles from Africa.
    Pneumologists explain that the Sahara dust carries bacteria and spores, which can cause health problems, especially in people who suffer from allergies, are asthmatic or have some immunodeficiency.
    The main recommendation is to use a mask or a wet cloth on the nose, in order to protect the respiratory tract.
    Older children and adults are often the most susceptible to respiratory conditions, so they should not be exposed to overcrowded areas.
    The eyes and skin may also be affected with conjunctivitis or contact dermatitis, respectively.
    It is always advisable to consult with your doctor for any allergy you need.
    During the period of dust particles in RD it is advisable not to be exposed for a long time in the open air, in addition to ingesting a lot of liquid because of the increase of the heat that will generate this phenomenon.
    The best way to know that there is dust from the Sahara in the country is looking at the sky: if it is blue there is no dust, but if it is opaque, foggy or grayish, it is a sign of its presence.
    How can Sahara dust come to the Caribbean?
    The mechanism that causes the transport of this dust from the African continent is the effect of the strong wind that blows for several hours on the desert, generating sand storms that arrive until the coasts of the Atlantic Ocean. The smallest particles of dust and sand rise and are sometimes transported by trade winds to the Caribbean.
    My country in West Africa has the Sahara in the Northern part,we have a main season with stand Storms which we call Harmattan. The beginning of the season is usually November though (our winter).

    I would have never thought that it could reach as far as the Caribbean. It gets hazy, and my memory as a kid, are every single kids from the neighborhood kids conjunctivitis.

  13. #9
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    17,015
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Too bad...
    I was hoping to leave the car for sand blasting before a paint job.....

    Darn....

  14. Likes RDKNIGHT liked this post
  15. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    135
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    CACA
    I came here for my chronic bronchitis!!!
    Had them burnt in a shipboard explosion back in 1969.
    Now I have to put up with this fine dust crap!
    Please no one should blame the RD for this condition... I am sure someone will , for sure!

    Time to buy the dust masks .
    Thank you for the warning... good thread.

    Russell

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •