Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Aftermath of Hurricanes Irma & Maria

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I posted that you could cross the Jamao bridge. There has been so much vehicular traffic, all the caliche (dv8, please correct me again) has been crushed and beaten down to the point where the bridge is barely passable.

Tomorrow, I had hoped to cross the bridge to pick up a dear friend at the Santiago airport. I am no longer sure that the bridge is safe and need to consider whether it is more prudent to travel Jamao to Sosua to Puerto Plata to Santiago, making a 1 hour trip into 3 - both ways.

I do not recommend that anyone count on the Jamao bridge being passable in the near future.

Lindsey

2. Likes Expat-in-Cabarete, Jumbo liked this post
    99.9% Regular User
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's hoping that new express highway between Puerto Plata and Santiago goes ahead with all possible speed. It would not be fun to find the north coast cut off because of old and failing infrastructure.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sosua to STI airport.

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyKaufman View Post
    Sorry I posted that you could cross the Jamao bridge. There has been so much vehicular traffic, all the caliche (dv8, please correct me again) has been crushed and beaten down to the point where the bridge is barely passable.

Tomorrow, I had hoped to cross the bridge to pick up a dear friend at the Santiago airport. I am no longer sure that the bridge is safe and need to consider whether it is more prudent to travel Jamao to Sosua to Puerto Plata to Santiago, making a 1 hour trip into 3 - both ways.

I do not recommend that anyone count on the Jamao bridge being passable in the near future.

Lindsey

Glad I decided to go via Puerto Plata on my trip to the Santiago airport then. (I usually take the Moca route over the Jamal bridge). 
    That said, it took 90 minutes just to go from Sosua to the tunnel. Then another hour to the airport (via the bypass toll road). 
    A lot of half completed road construction/maintenance projects along this route.  In a few places the "highway" was down to one lane for short stretches due to washouts. Plus something new.....numerous rumble strips between POP and the tunnel. 

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

discouraging news - the Jamao bridge.

how does one now get to STI from the north coast - Gasp Hern, RSJ, Cabrera, etc?

The route thru Nagua is a killer....

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Miches was hit hard by Maria, the govt. is reacting.

computer translated:

OFFICIALS| 02 OCT 2017, 12:00 AM

The Central Electoral Board installs a mobile unit in Miches

SANTO DOMINGO. The President of the Central Electoral Board (JCE), Julio César Castaños Guzmán, moved with a delegation to Miches, El Seibo province, to continue the work of restoring the services of the Civil Status Office of that municipality, after the site was affected by the passage of Hurricane Maria near the northeast of the country.

In an act in which the senator of the province, Santiago Zorrilla, and other municipal authorities participated, a mobile unit was left operating that will offer all the services of the Official.

Castaños Guzmán indicated that, thanks to the effort made, the physical losses of books of acts of civil status were minimal, and showed the first book that had the Official, installed in the year 1900, which is intact, he said.

"But the most important thing is that 95% of these sheets are digitized, so there is no loss of information that can not be replaced or rebuilt."

Castaños Guzmán said that the service of the mobile unit will be provisional and that the processes for the construction of a JCE building have already begun, so that this community has a decent place.

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...ches-YK8286045

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    Here's hoping that new express highway between Puerto Plata and Santiago goes ahead with all possible speed. It would not be fun to find the north coast cut off because of old and failing infrastructure.
    I think we will be waiting a long time for that to be done.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    discouraging news - the Jamao bridge.

how does one now get to STI from the north coast - Gasp Hern, RSJ, Cabrera, etc?

The route thru Nagua is a killer....
    Through Puerto Plata, Imbert, Navarette, etc..

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Nagua and then across to Moca is rough.....and long.
    Your way has the current other blockage issues...

Read ju10's post in North Roads Update...
    an engineering report of sorts.

Fast rebuild in progress at Jamao...
    Just loose/shifted footings , not a cross member structural issue - is his assessment

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If allowed here, I was just wondering how long is that Jamao bridge, and what are some modern alternatives with a guestimate as to pricing for a replacement?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Length = maybe 40-50 yds....

New one under construction....

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast