Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Accident while driving someone elses car...who is responsible?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Accident while driving someone elses car...who is responsible?

Hi! I recently bought a car from a car agency here in Sosua and the next day there were problems with the motor so the car dealer agency took the car back to repair it and loaned me one of their rental cars to drive meanwhile they were fixing mine.(They gave me no contracct to sign and there was no talk of insurance)

It took 10 days to fix my new car and meanwhile while parked on the street someone backed into the front of the car they loaned me and took off while I wasn't there to see who did it.

When I went to the car dealer to pick up my car I showed him the damages to the front of the rental car that someone else had done and he told me it was my responsibility to pay for it.

The bill came to about $350USD and he wont give me the title on my new car till I pay it.

Who is supposed to pay for the damages? He says he only has minimal car insurance de Ley and I have to pay. I also have minimal car insurance de Ley. Thank you ahead of time for any of your expertise!!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

No one really knows who is covered as a new gringo and it certainly is not you. Welcome to the DR.

So many ways that this can go that my best advise? Get another repair estimate that will cost you more they the repair.

Pay it. Get it signed off. Move along.

You DO have a good atty. to advise you don't you? Costs just went up but you might be saving your Butt.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You are responsible, it was in your care and the car has lost value. Having said that tho, you can get an awful lot of body work done for 350. That is probably an inflated number.

Go back, ask to see car or walk up to it, and take a bunch of pictures
    when he asks, tell him your attorney wants the pics
    Then offer him 175 or 200 to settle it. Have the cash in your pocket.

4. Likes curlando, Derfish, Mauricio, irishpaddy, jd426 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Cash the deal fast and/or get get quotes to fix it yourself....

The longer it sits the more difficult it will be ==if you ask me.

Fast fix - get your new car and don't look back

It was a free rental, no?

6. Likes zoomzx11 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rick3993 View Post
    Hi! I recently bought a car from a car agency here in Sosua and the next day there were problems with the motor so the car dealer agency took the car back to repair it and loaned me one of their rental cars to drive meanwhile they were fixing mine.(They gave me no contracct to sign and there was no talk of insurance)

It took 10 days to fix my new car and meanwhile while parked on the street someone backed into the front of the car they loaned me and took off while I wasn't there to see who did it.

When I went to the car dealer to pick up my car I showed him the damages to the front of the rental car that someone else had done and he told me it was my responsibility to pay for it.

The bill came to about $350USD and he wont give me the title on my new car till I pay it.

Who is supposed to pay for the damages? He says he only has minimal car insurance de Ley and I have to pay. I also have minimal car insurance de Ley. Thank you ahead of time for any of your expertise!!!
    45 to 48 years ago I worked as an insurance adjuster in Minnesota. Long time ago and long distance from the DR, but if we had a person insured we covered any car they drove. But i don't know a thing about laws of such in the DR in the 21st century.
    Maybe nobody does.
    Der Fish

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine why you think anyone else is responsible apart from you. They lent you a car, for free. You brought it back damaged, of course you have to pay for it. And to me, US$ 350 is cheap for a repair - I had a new vehicle which I put a dent in and the repair bill came to well over RD$ 50,000. You also need to know that as a gringo, we are always expected to pay here whenever anything happens. Best just to accept that's how things roll and not get upset about it, you'll get used to it or you'll move to another country.

9. Likes orlando44 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

isn't it lucky you didn't have an accident and hurt someone...........always make sure you have insurance

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

100% your responsibility

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Should have fixed it yourself for under half the quoted price. Now all you can do is gripe about the bill and maybe knock some of the amount off in the best case.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    You are responsible, it was in your care and the car has lost value. Having said that tho, you can get an awful lot of body work done for 350. That is probably an inflated number.

Go back, ask to see car or walk up to it, and take a bunch of pictures
    when he asks, tell him your attorney wants the pics
    Then offer him 175 or 200 to settle it. Have the cash in your pocket.
    how do you know the amount is inflated?

did you see the damage?

do you know how much the replacement parts cost, if needed?

do you know what the labor content is, or how to calculate it?

14. Likes Garyexpat liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast