Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Accident while driving someone elses car...who is responsible?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no question that you are responsible for the damages. You should have asked about insurance when you accepted the car. It's only $350, they could have gouged you and charged you $1300.

2. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    The OP has the right to take it to the repair shop of his choice as long as the owner is good with the repair. He can either do that or pay the $350.

Personally, I'd take it to a shop myself and fix it before the owner even knew about it.
    I had a friend who ran his rental into a ditch driving the old touristica road when drunk. He was freaking out because there was a LOT if damage---bumper, lights, dented hood and bashed quarterpanel---and he knew the rental company would screw him. So we took it to a backyard body shop in Santiago. Three days and $400 later the car looked new and the rental company never knew the difference.

4. Likes PICHARDO, Harleysrock, jinty05 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    I had a friend who ran his rental into a ditch driving the old touristica road when drunk. He was freaking out because there was a LOT if damage---bumper, lights, dented hood and bashed quarterpanel---and he knew the rental company would screw him. So we took it to a backyard body shop in Santiago. Three days and $400 later the car looked new and the rental company never knew the difference.
    I have a friend in the rental biz on North Coast. We were talking about his 500 usd deductible. I asked him something about the logistics of getting everything covered when a car is really damaged. He got a little grin and said he can get a car almost completely rebuilt for 500.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    I have a friend in the rental biz on North Coast. We were talking about his 500 usd deductible. I asked him something about the logistics of getting everything covered when a car is really damaged. He got a little grin and said he can get a car almost completely rebuilt for 500.
    He is good People,
    I never had a problem paying the guy for small damage ,, that guy has always treated me RIGHT..
    and that kind of Friendship goes a LONG way...
    One time i even owed him the money from one trip to another for a scratch on the door. ( like 1 Mil pesos) . he did not even blink about it ..
    If he was a bad guy he could have jammed me up at the Airport ..
    People like this who run an Honest Shop, deserve to get paid, when you do a little damage or a scratch to the rental car..

7. Likes ctrob liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Boys.... too late to do the fix w/o the rental company knowing....they know

That's why they're holding his car

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It is your responsibility here, Russia, France, England, Argentina and the good old USA........etc

10. Likes IslandDreaming liked this post
    Dislikes IslandDreaming disliked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Suck it up buttercup and pay the bill!! 

12. Likes Harleysrock, irishpaddy liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Gawd I probably shouldn't wade into this thread but here goes. Don't know the legalities in the DR. I like the idea of taking pics and offering less as a way of bargaining down. But here in the US, insurance is written on the car. It follows the car not the driver. The owner is ultimately on the hook for repairs. When you loan someone your car you are "loaning" your coverage. If this shop owner only had liability then why should I think he had any other concern than to bodily or property damage to others. He certainly can't claim damages to his car. Again, I'm only stating how it works here as a former agency owner.

14. Likes monfongo liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rick3993 View Post
    Hi! I recently bought a car from a car agency here in Sosua and the next day there were problems with the motor so the car dealer agency took the car back to repair it and loaned me one of their rental cars to drive meanwhile they were fixing mine.(They gave me no contracct to sign and there was no talk of insurance)

It took 10 days to fix my new car and meanwhile while parked on the street someone backed into the front of the car they loaned me and took off while I wasn't there to see who did it.

When I went to the car dealer to pick up my car I showed him the damages to the front of the rental car that someone else had done and he told me it was my responsibility to pay for it.

The bill came to about $350USD and he wont give me the title on my new car till I pay it.

Who is supposed to pay for the damages? He says he only has minimal car insurance de Ley and I have to pay. I also have minimal car insurance de Ley. Thank you ahead of time for any of your expertise!!!
    There in lies the rub? Buyer beware. I would say the right thing to do would be to pay either all or part of the cost of repairing the loaner vehicle. You may be able to get him to agree to let's say $300usds. He really has you by the you know what's. The problem is if you make a big production to resolve this it could make it a lot worse. I would give him $250-$300, get the vehicle you bought and have a nice day.

16. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If he loaned you the car it should have ins. that covers you. You should be liable for the deductible and nothing more. And if you have a gold or platinum card, that would cover it, Been there done that.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast