Advise on getting around Island

Bosslady616

Apr 5, 2015
Good evening everyone,

I am planning a solo trip and I wanted to see more of the island. I have been there on a couple of occasions and I am tired of the resorts. I plan on starting in Santo Domingo and going to possibly Juan Dolio, Punta Cana, and Samana. I may cut out one of the destinations. Is there any available transportation around except taxis and tour buses? I just want to weigh out my options so that I can plan how long I want to stay at each destination and making sure I get to each one. Do you suggest staying in Punta Cana or Samana if I want to see Montana Redonda or Salto del limon? Are there areas that you all suggest staying? Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Sha

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Take regular buses the locals use. Caribe Tours or Metro. They go all over the island,and you'll meet and talk to lots of people. I wouldn't make plans, you'll get frustrated trying to do that.
Just take an overnight bag, a map and go. You'll enjoy it.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Good evening everyone,

I am planning a solo trip and I wanted to see more of the island. I have been there on a couple of occasions and I am tired of the resorts. I plan on starting in Santo Domingo and going to possibly Juan Dolio, Punta Cana, and Samana. I may cut out one of the destinations. Is there any available transportation around except taxis and tour buses? I just want to weigh out my options so that I can plan how long I want to stay at each destination and making sure I get to each one. Do you suggest staying in Punta Cana or Samana if I want to see Montana Redonda or Salto del limon? Are there areas that you all suggest staying? Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Sha

It sounds like you are flying into SDQ? It's possible to do buses from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana or to the Samana Peninsula however it is quite a distance in between those two points. Personally I would forget about getting to Punta Cana. If you go Las Terrenas on the Samana Peninsula you can take Transporte Las Terrenas buses from Santo Domingo directly to LT. The phone number of the terminal in SD is 809-687-1470 and in LT 809-240-5302. Trip takes about 3 hrs or less and will cost under $10usd. From here you can take a tour to Limon Falls. I would go on-line and look for info on the LT area. Also check out the tourist guide at the top of the Northeast Thread on this web-site. Depending on your budget you might also consider renting a vehicle. Good luck and good travels.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Note that the Caribetours and Metro bus companies don't serve the south-eastern and eastern regions.

To get to Punta Cana you can take Expreso Bavaro http://www.expresobavaro.com/ and local guaguas to Miches to visit Montana Redonda.

There are some non-AI accommodation options in the PC-Bavaro area like Hotel Art Villa Dominicana in Los Corales, and in the town of Miches - La Loma and Coco Loco Beach Club. Try also airbnb and similar.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If what you're looking for is walking around touristy areas and enjoying the views, Samana might be a better option for you. Punta Cana is mainly one hotel after the other along the beach and other than in Cortecito, there isn't really an area where you can easily walk around on the beach or on a boardwalk. Samana on the other hand has many stretches of road along the beach and much less all inclusive hotels. That said, I live in Punta Cana and thoroughly enjoy it but for the type of "touristing" you seem to want to do, I think the peninsula of Samana would be a better option.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
I agree with some of the respondents. Forget Punta Cana and go to LT or even start at Sosua. From Sosua you can travel all the way to Las Galeras (north of Samana Peninsula) and everywhere in between very easily with Gua Gua bus or car. A suggestion from me is you can have fun in Sosua, until sundown. Then it turns into a very different place. Depends on your "cup of tea"! :) Have fun!!!

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I concur with many others who say skip Punta Cana. Go directly up to Samana peninsula, then travel west as as far as Puerto Plata (plenty to see and experience on this stretch. Depending on your time you can head south to Santiago and take a quick trip up to jarabacoa (worth seeing) over the mountain road to Constanza and then back to the capitol.
Enjoy the trip.