I'm still recovering....

Sep 12, 2017
Hi All,
My name is Ed Molina, and for the better part of my childhood/teenage years, I Lived in Sosúa with my family. That was during the 80's and very early 90's. If you were there at that time, I very likely knew you, or my parents knew you, or my sister knew you. My father was also named Ed (as a kid everyone still called me Edward) and he built a couple of hotels and luxury homes. My mother was Vivian Molina, and she used to run a luxury private home management agency, way before AirBnB was a thing, she also helped establish the Sosúa International School. And my sister was Adrienne Molina, she was the social butterfly of the town, untill she passed away when she was barely 18 years old, she's still there in Sosúa, buried in the Jewish cemetery, right next to my best friend. My 2 best friends growing up, were Arlo Benjamin (living), and Janito (El Abuelo) Burgos Steinman. You could usually find us taring the town up on our Pasolas, unless we were surfing, or in the discotecas chasing tourist girls. I went to school at Cristobal Colon in Sosúa, then San Jose in Puerto Plata, then Santiago Christian School, in Santiago (obviously). I haven't lived in the DR since 1993. I've only been back twice since then, it's too hard, I've got way too many personal demons that still live there. I came across this forum randomly while searching for something completely unrelated. What I found ended up leading to a post about someone I knew a long time ago, it was a very heartwarming story. If you knew me back than, please say hi or something, or if you have any stories from back then I'd love to hear them.  

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Welcome to DR1, glad you survived :)

I don't know you or your family, but I do know Sosua of the late 70s early 80s. A whole different world from today.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You were there in the years when we ran The Puerto Plata News... all times are good, but remember Sosua as a garden beach town. I started it in 1985-86 when I returned from J School at Columbia University. Must have crossed paths quite a many times.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You were there in the years when we ran The Puerto Plata News... all times are good, but remember Sosua as a garden beach town. I started it in 1985-86 when I returned from J School at Columbia University. Must have crossed paths quite a many times.

i have been urging Derfish to hurry and write his book, with the promise to buy his first copy.

the same applies to you. i have Matildas book, and i want a DR1 collection.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Finally, a HIGH Quality Member joining the Forum..

Big WELCOME SosuaSurvivor !!!!.... Please do share some of your Stories with us ...

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Dear Ed,
I remember the beauty of Sosua, especially Villas Coralillos, which my uncle Thomas Philipp built. The late eighties were some dangerous times, during which my uncle was murdered, with the full blessing of Balaguer. You can't go home again, but there are now some decent people in the town. The International School is a real tribute to your mom.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
So the rest of us are what, chopped liver?

But welcome SosuaSurvivor. 

interesting you focused on that part... you a member since 2011 , so you are not New ..
but if you like we can welcome you again, with balloons and flowers.

i like liver btw, fried with Onions.. my grandma made the best . I think they were Calf Livers ..