Las Terrenas riots ???

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I am surprised, no one posted about what's going on in LT.....

Apparently, the Ministry of environment ("medio ambiente") decided to destroy all the beach bars/restaurants between Popy* and las Ballenas. It seems that all these businesses do not comply with the law (not exactly sure but something along the lines of 60 meters).

Live on fb:
https://www.facebook.com/loc.funrental/videos/1617693354971218/

People are not happy.

63zvqt.jpg

I have mixed feelings...On one hand, the law is law and I do believe beaches should be public domain.Yet, I have patronized some of the restaurants on the beach (actually I know the owner of the restaurant on the video and he has been in LT forever). On the other hand, LT is highly dependent on tourism and I am afraid, such measures will negatively affect it.

Also, many of these restaurants took care of their areas on the beach, made sure it remained clean, who will do that now ?

What do you guys think ?

Can we have any updates from expat on the grounds ?

*A few ones were destroyed by Irma

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
They've been talking about doing this all over DR, perhaps they're using Irma as an excuse to clean up the coastlines. There have been rumors that the same will be done on the southern coast beaches, I'd hate to be there if they ever do it.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
They've been talking about doing this all over DR, perhaps they're using Irma as an excuse to clean up the coastlines. There have been rumors that the same will be done on the southern coast beaches, I'd hate to be there if they ever do it.

exactly ... of course ..they needed a "Reason" and proof of damage that can be caused by a Hurricane.. and now they have it ...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Didn't they just build a new stretch of restaurants after a burnout ??

Not these ones they're closing is it ??

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

If they do the same in Boca Chica I sure would hate to be there.........

The law is the law but sometimes it can be bent a little I guess. Especially since these were established businesses.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am in agreement with forcibly moving beach businesses. a while ago we went to playa ensenada and i would not even stop there to pi**. the "restaurants" are maybe 10 meters from the water, it's unbearably loud and the whole place stinks of sh*t. the cisterns for the water and agua negra holding sewage are one next to another, in the beach sand, behind those shacks.

sadly, some folks here defecate all over the environment in every way possible, choking the earth. one may say it's the land of dominicans and it's up to the them to destroy it but it's like saying that the parents have the bright to murder their kids. lack of education, stupidity and simply not giving a damn are destroying something that belongs equally to everyone.

burn those shacks to the ground. the businesses have to move back. not only with the respect to the law of a man but also with respect to the law of nature.

May 5, 2007
i am in agreement with forcibly moving beach businesses. a while ago we went to playa ensenada and i would not even stop there to pi**. the "restaurants" are maybe 10 meters from the water, it's unbearably loud and the whole place stinks of sh*t. the cisterns for the water and agua negra holding sewage are one next to another, in the beach sand, behind those shacks.

sadly, some folks here defecate all over the environment in every way possible, choking the earth. one may say it's the land of dominicans and it's up to the them to destroy it but it's like saying that the parents have the bright to murder their kids. lack of education, stupidity and simply not giving a damn are destroying something that belongs equally to everyone.

burn those shacks to the ground. the businesses have to move back. not only with the respect to the law of a man but also with respect to the law of nature.

You're against those "shacks" eh :laugh:

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If the law is being enforced I hope they visit El Corticito in the Bavaro area. At high tide some of these places are almost in the water. Its a dump similar to what dv8 posted about Playa Ensenada.
Unfortunately the police here have been bribed for so long I don't know how it can change unless they all get fired and the new ones are less corrupt. (like that will ever happen)

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

I disagree about playa ensenada. Its not the shacks that are destroying the beach/nature.  Its the new road ( maybe a couple of years old ) that allows every man and his dog to come to the beach from as far as santiago that destroyed the whole thing....... bus loads of chopos :(
More people = more shacks = more sh.it.
A couple of years ago there was only a few open shacks, hardly any music, no garbage......... we used to go camping there..... now its pandemonium

Samana_Sanchez

Nov 22, 2014
This has been in the pipelines for numerous years, its unfortuante this has happened to the business owners.

I'm sure this happened a few years ago to the same owners, however they came to some type of comprise back then.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I disagree about playa ensenada. Its not the shacks that are destroying the beach/nature.  Its the new road ( maybe a couple of years old ) that allows every man and his dog to come to the beach from as far as santiago that destroyed the whole thing....... bus loads of chopos :(
More people = more shacks = more sh.it.
A couple of years ago there was only a few open shacks, hardly any music, no garbage......... we used to go camping there..... now its pandemonium

it is their country, brother. that is really what counts.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
From what I read and posted earlier from Infos Diarios, it would appear that Mojitos is affected being in the zone mentioned. That would be a loss. It is a well set up establishment and probably the best sundowner place in LT.

Unfortunately the beach is eroding all along that stretch and the idea of a sea wall probably makes sense from and environmental perspective. And they could also widen the very narrow road leading out to Portillo.

We are not talking about beach shacks by the way and not Fishermans Village here. It is a LT local issue.