Thai restaurant closed in ZC

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
Just learned from friends the new Thai restaurant on the Conde has closed.   The owner was from St Martin and had a restaurant there.  Both his restaurant there and his home were totally destroyed.  He has returned to support family and rebuild.   A real loss to to The Colonial Zone.   May I suggest Lulu Tasting Bar.  Not Thai but a great restaurant.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
A real loss. I spoke to the manager soon after the hurricane passed over the island and was told that his house was lost but not the restaurant. I thought it odd that it was closed three days in a row.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Just learned from friends the new Thai restaurant on the Conde has closed.   The owner was from St Martin and had a restaurant there.  Both his restaurant there and his home were totally destroyed.  He has returned to support family and rebuild.   A real loss to to The Colonial Zone.   May I suggest Lulu Tasting Bar.  Not Thai but a great restaurant.

Sorry about the guy's loss, but honestly that restaurant would have closed sometime soon anyway. I own a business round the corner, i walk past it several times a day, always completely empty. Prices way way too high to attract lunchtime trade, and the wrong location for a nice meal (right opposite Cestur on a noisy dusty corner). You guys who are keen to save a few pesos by using Uber are surely not going to be interested in RD$ 800 for a plate of food, plus service plus tax?

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Sorry about the guy's loss, but honestly that restaurant would have closed sometime soon anyway. I own a business round the corner, i walk past it several times a day, always completely empty. Prices way way too high to attract lunchtime trade, and the wrong location for a nice meal (right opposite Cestur on a noisy dusty corner). You guys who are keen to save a few pesos by using Uber are surely not going to be interested in RD$ 800 for a plate of food, plus service plus tax?

When I am not driving I ALWAYS use Uber and not just for the savings, and yes I would have paid the high price for good Thai food.......what are you an ex hack?

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013

Lulu is good for two things only. Live music and a place to take a lady in a nice dress. 

Lousy cocktails with overwrought concoctions. 

They think balsamic vinegar and arugula are the latest thing. 

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Lulu is good for two things only. Live music and a place to take a lady in a nice dress. 

Lousy cocktails with overwrought concoctions. 

They think balsamic vinegar and arugula are the latest thing. 

ahh, the joy of reading the offerings of an articulate man..or woman, should that be the case.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Except for the French fry joints, I've visited every place that sells food on Calle El Conde from Grand's(Paco) to the place next to Dennys. From cardboard pizza to salmon in mushroom sauce with steamed veggies, from mangu' with queso y huevo frito, to Chinese picapollo, and haven't gone back a second time to most because of poor service; not price. I support any business with good food and great service over those with mediocre menus with employees with ****ty attitudes. It's not always about saving a few pesos, for me anyway. Every corner on that strip is noisy, dirty and dusty and has Cestur standing around killing time.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Except for the French fry joints, I've visited every place that sells food on Calle El Conde........

What is wrong with the French fry joints? LOL

I haven't been to every place but I have tried enough spots that el conde never comes to mind when I get hungry.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
On El Conde I think Buche Perico stands out. Lulu not so much. In ZC pat'e palo is still my favorite. 

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I also feel the restaurant would have closed eventually. The location was not good for that type of place. Price was a little high but not much. Look at Jalo, better location but every time I've been in there, they have a nice crowd.

I wonder how long the french fry fad will last. The first one was a hit, so now you have more bitting off the ideal. 

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
My point isn't that it was too expensive. My point is that the ambiance and the location didn't justify working at that price point. It looked like a cheap cafe, plastic tables, hard seats, the type of place where you would get a cheap sandwich or a pizza. But was trying to charge US$ 20 including tax for lunch. I don't think many bars or restaurants in the Colonial Zone can survive without appealing to Dominican customers - if you look at Pat e Palo, Jalao, Lulu, La Briciola, even Pacos, most of the customers are Dominican. And Dominicans are very very aware of price-quality.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Very sad. We wanted to try it.

Surely there is a market in Santo Domingo for a real Thai restaurant.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
UPDATE: It was open tonight (September 14th) and it was trading, lights on, people eating. So maybe they have found a way to carry on.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
My thoughts are with the owner of the Thai restaurant in the first post. I wish him luck in dealing with his losses from the hurricane. 
I also wish him luck in recovering his business.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
UPDATE: It was open tonight (September 14th) and it was trading, lights on, people eating. So maybe they have found a way to carry on.
I spoke with the manager last night. The restaurant will stay open for rest of the week and it will then close. The owner is going back to St. Martin to rebuild; manager said he would come back to DR but wasn't certain if he would reopen at the same location. That's all I know and will visit one final time tonight.