Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Thai restaurant closed in ZC

  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Thai restaurant closed in ZC

    Just learned from friends the new Thai restaurant on the Conde has closed.   The owner was from St Martin and had a restaurant there.  Both his restaurant there and his home were totally destroyed.  He has returned to support family and rebuild.   A real loss to to The Colonial Zone.   May I suggest Lulu Tasting Bar.  Not Thai but a great restaurant.

  2. #2
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A real loss. I spoke to the manager soon after the hurricane passed over the island and was told that his house was lost but not the restaurant. I thought it odd that it was closed three days in a row.

  3. #3
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hector L View Post
    Just learned from friends the new Thai restaurant on the Conde has closed.   The owner was from St Martin and had a restaurant there.  Both his restaurant there and his home were totally destroyed.  He has returned to support family and rebuild.   A real loss to to The Colonial Zone.   May I suggest Lulu Tasting Bar.  Not Thai but a great restaurant.
    Sorry about the guy's loss, but honestly that restaurant would have closed sometime soon anyway. I own a business round the corner, i walk past it several times a day, always completely empty. Prices way way too high to attract lunchtime trade, and the wrong location for a nice meal (right opposite Cestur on a noisy dusty corner). You guys who are keen to save a few pesos by using Uber are surely not going to be interested in RD$ 800 for a plate of food, plus service plus tax?

  4. #4
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    836
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TropicalPaul View Post
    Sorry about the guy's loss, but honestly that restaurant would have closed sometime soon anyway. I own a business round the corner, i walk past it several times a day, always completely empty. Prices way way too high to attract lunchtime trade, and the wrong location for a nice meal (right opposite Cestur on a noisy dusty corner). You guys who are keen to save a few pesos by using Uber are surely not going to be interested in RD$ 800 for a plate of food, plus service plus tax?
    When I am not driving I ALWAYS use Uber and not just for the savings, and yes I would have paid the high price for good Thai food.......what are you an ex hack?

  5. Likes Polar Bear liked this post
  6. #5
    Silver
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,611
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hector L View Post
    Just learned from friends the new Thai restaurant on the Conde has closed.   The owner was from St Martin and had a restaurant there.  Both his restaurant there and his home were totally destroyed.  He has returned to support family and rebuild.   A real loss to to The Colonial Zone.   May I suggest Lulu Tasting Bar.  Not Thai but a great restaurant.


    Lulu is good for two things only. Live music and a place to take a lady in a nice dress. 

    Lousy cocktails with overwrought concoctions. 

    They think balsamic vinegar and arugula are the latest thing. 

  7. Likes irishpaddy liked this post
  8. #6
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    27,466
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mofongoloco View Post
    Lulu is good for two things only. Live music and a place to take a lady in a nice dress. 

    Lousy cocktails with overwrought concoctions. 

    They think balsamic vinegar and arugula are the latest thing. 
    ahh, the joy of reading the offerings of an articulate man..or woman, should that be the case.

  9. #7
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Except for the French fry joints, I've visited every place that sells food on Calle El Conde from Grand's(Paco) to the place next to Dennys. From cardboard pizza to salmon in mushroom sauce with steamed veggies, from mangu' with queso y huevo frito, to Chinese picapollo, and haven't gone back a second time to most because of poor service; not price. I support any business with good food and great service over those with mediocre menus with employees with ****ty attitudes. It's not always about saving a few pesos, for me anyway. Every corner on that strip is noisy, dirty and dusty and has Cestur standing around killing time.

  10. #8
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,403
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2dlight View Post
    Except for the French fry joints, I've visited every place that sells food on Calle El Conde........
    What is wrong with the French fry joints? LOL

    I haven't been to every place but I have tried enough spots that el conde never comes to mind when I get hungry.

  11. Likes RG84 liked this post
  12. #9
    Gold
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,088
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    On El Conde I think Buche Perico stands out. Lulu not so much. In ZC pat'e palo is still my favorite. 

  13. #10
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    548
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I also feel the restaurant would have closed eventually. The location was not good for that type of place. Price was a little high but not much. Look at Jalo, better location but every time I've been in there, they have a nice crowd.

    I wonder how long the french fry fad will last. The first one was a hit, so now you have more bitting off the ideal. 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO