View Poll Results: How do you rate the design and details of the new malecon?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 = Excellent

3 25.00%

5 41.67%
  • 3 = OK

3 25.00%

0 0%
  • 1 = Horrible

1 8.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Santo Domingo's New Malecon

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Santo Domingo's New Malecon

The first phase of the remodeling of the malecon (avenida George Washington) were concluded roughly three days ago. The remodeling includes the replacement of the pink sidewalk with a modern sleek and modern looking white/gray-ish sidewalk with interesting post-modern design. It 'opens' the views of the Caribbean Sea. It also includes new light fixtures.

On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 = horrible and 5 = excellent, rate the new design of Santo Domingo's malecon.

The following two videos show snapshots of the part already remodeled.

Moderator Polls Forum

2. Likes RG84, keepcoming liked this post
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

This video is of the inauguration of the first phase of the project. The guy in the image before starting the video is the mayor David Collado. Within the video are snapshots here and there of the inaugurated parts.

Moderator Polls Forum

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to add the poll. lol

Done!

Moderator Polls Forum

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The pavement looks just fine to me but making something of the boulevard would mean rearranging traffic and probably think about places across the street to eat or drink something. 

It's still not a place I'd go with the children for the traffic , including heavy trucks, racing a few inches from the pavement.

However I was sceptical about the ZC as well 5 years ago and that actually worked out quite well. 

I love Dominicans!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

To make Malecon look nice, they need to remove all Dominicans from it LOL!

7. Likes jeb321 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

This is, as the OP mentions, the first phase and phases two and three are perhaps the sections that are the more frequently visited parts of the Malecon. Second phase being from Maximo Gomez to Obelisco Macho at start of Billini and due for completion in October, and then to Monumento de Fray Anton de Montesinos which is probably the section most tourists recognise and due for completion next February.

I vote the improvement to the first section, which was previously quite run down, as excellent and in much use today as my post elsewhere.

9. Likes Kipling333, irishpaddy liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Mauricio ,you obviously do not live in ZC ..the use of the grants to renovate ZC have been a near total disaster..the road works in front of historic Hotel Frances led to the front wall totally collapsing into the road and everyone was telling the council to block the water pipes that made the road a bog . Ave Mella has a sink hole in it that has not been fixed for three years and the oerhead wires that just get more gross every week The ridiculous aluminium posts that block parking have been bent over as trucks hit them ..Only two or three streets were given new paving and everyone wants to know where the money went to ..Not in 90% of the streets , not in Conde , not in putting wires underground and not in parking buildings . The project was a rip off and total corruption .

11. Likes RG84, Ret.Cop liked this post
    Dislikes Hector L disliked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling333 View Post
    Mauricio ,you obviously do not live in ZC ..the use of the grants to renovate ZC have been a near total disaster..the road works in front of historic Hotel Frances led to the front wall totally collapsing into the road and everyone was telling the council to block the water pipes that made the road a bog . Ave Mella has a sink hole in it that has not been fixed for three years and the oerhead wires that just get more gross every week The ridiculous aluminium posts that block parking have been bent over as trucks hit them ..Only two or three streets were given new paving and everyone wants to know where the money went to ..Not in 90% of the streets , not in Conde , not in putting wires underground and not in parking buildings .
     The project was a rip off and total corruption .

There was another 100 million granted this year, right? Lets see where that money goes

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Correct , I don't live in ZC but would in past times not even think about visiting on a Saturday or even for dinner. Now we do enjoy an occasional Saturday afternoon walk on el Conde or plaza España and much more often choose a ZC restaurant for dinner than we used to. 

For those living in ZC I don't doubt you're word on it, it has been and is a disaster. And I don't doubt much money was stolen like during all big projects in DR.

14. Likes Ret.Cop liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a good improvement. Years ago one could spend a enjoyable day/evening walking on Malecon. Would be nice to get some of that back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast