Lexan vs Glass

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Does anyone here have any experience with Lexan panels instead of glass. The reason I ask is Lexan is 250 times stronger than glass and I'm thinking of changing my sliding glass doors to Lexan or at least using it instead of plywood.
Also does anyone know of a supplier in the Dominican. If not I can get it out of New Jersey at a reasonable price.
With all the hurricanes this year and god knows what's coming next this may be a more affordable approach to protecting our place. One of my neighbors did roll shutters but $15,000 seems kinda high.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Lexan scratches and will craze.

Tempered glass for sliding doors is very strong. An anti-shatter film makes it even stronger.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If you are using it instead of plywood, go for it if it is less expensive from your supplier.
As a replacement for glass in your doors/windows I would not recommend it. In addition to CB's comments I would add that it also discolours with regular exposure to UV rays.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
The Sun will eat up the Lexan eventually and it will get very brittle. To protect your property, get the shutters if you can afford them or the next best thing is plywood. The plywood should be CDX or any exterior grade. Install channels at the base and top of windows and glass doors. That way you just have to slide the pieces in instead of using screws and damaging your frames. Another alternative is to do the same with the channels, but make them big enough to accept corrugated roofing panels. These you can keep reusing time after time. Good luck.