New Franchise help

dubaisub

Sep 21, 2017
Hello
i am planing with my partner to travel DR and see chances to open new international food franchise
do you think is it risky
please advice and help
Thanks

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Any U.S. based franchise that I've seen open starts out great and I assume if your service level is any good at all (meaning better than typical D.R. customer service) you should do fine. I don't know where your franchisor is from and also name recognition is key. If it is a new franchise obviously there will be less of a draw.
Make sure you do the typical D.R. grand opening and invite the radio / tv / news channels.

Good luck!

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If your name is an indication that you will be selling sub sandwiches, from what I have seen at the Subway in Bavaro I would do a ton of research then follow cobraboy's advice.
From my experience other than expats Dominicans don't eat a lot of sandwiches.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If your name is an indication that you will be selling sub sandwiches, from what I have seen at the Subway in Bavaro I would do a ton of research then follow cobraboy's advice.
From my experience other than expats Dominicans don't eat a lot of sandwiches.

oh, they eat a lot of sandwiches, all right. they just dont eat the kind of sandwiches which are going to keep a franchise in business. they eat a ton of jamon y queso made on those panini style presses, which sell for 50 pesos. forget about hoagies and philly cheese steaks, and stuff like that. they are not laying out that kind of money...

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
5 years ago I was commissioned to make studies of International Franchises coming to RD.
First ofall you must think like a Dominican, eat like a Dominican and spend your money like a Dominican ; then you will refrain from trying to make a buck by changing the diet here,
The most successful fast Food restaurants here are pizza. But one does not need an International Franchise to make and sell Pizza.
Your investment is your business , and I wish you well.... just be careful of your motive.
Return on investment may not be what you would expect.
And I am a positive thinker, with a thousand good ideas which remain in my computer.

Good luck.
Russell

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I did a turn around for 2 U.S. franchises here before starting my own companies. Once profitable they sold for a bundle and are still turning a profit (current owner is also one of the largest U.S. pizza franchise owners in the D.R.).
Geographical market also plays a role in anticipated success of a franchise, local vs. extranjeros.
I think McDonalds and Wendy's do very well (never eat that crap here or the states). Based on the drop in sales in the states they may do better here than in the states especially since they don't abide by U.S. specials like "dollar menu" or whatever it is.

Apr 7, 2014
Hello
i am planing with my partner to travel DR and see chances to open new international food franchise
do you think is it risky
please advice and help
Thanks
Yes.
No matter the product the market is highly illiquid. I dont think franchises are run here to actually make money but just represent a place in the market.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk