Punta Cana Maria Damage Report

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
Good morning
It looks like the damage to Bavaro was more noticeable than Irma. I see via a web cam that a Palapa on the beach broke.
Any other reports?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jan 7, 2016
Good morning
It looks like the damage to Bavaro was more noticeable than Irma. I see via a web cam that a Palapa on the beach broke.
Any other reports?

Previously, I've seen Palapas topple on the beach in good weather...the termites destroy the post under the sand and they just fall-over...add a little wind to that and WHAM! The government has ordered all structures less than 60 meters from the tide line be removed immediately...a little late and a dollar short, I guess.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Loads of rain here still in PC. Some trees down that I can see on the golf course in Cocotal. But the winds were basically equal to a Tropical Storm. Probably a lot of flooding but zip have not looked around yet. I would say we got away a lot easier than the weather clowns on TV would led you to believe.

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
Wednesday Grand
XDidRj
Palladium Punta Cana

Thursday
XDidMS

One (or more) Palapa Down!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Loads of rain here still in PC. Some trees down that I can see on the golf course in Cocotal. But the winds were basically equal to a Tropical Storm. Probably a lot of flooding but zip have not looked around yet. I would say we got away a lot easier than the weather clowns on TV would led you to believe.

The PUJ airport weather records today show that you had gusts overnight and early today in the region 55 to 65 mph, strong tropical storm winds but the sustained wind speed rarely met the tropical storm threshold of 39mph sustained for one minute or more.

https://www.wunderground.com/histor...statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

Yesterdays records show the pick up from afternoon and a near hurricane force gust.

https://www.wunderground.com/histor...statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

The gusts did the damage.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Power in Cocotal is on. Went off for 20 minutes earlier, but since it was back on yesterday has been steady. I guess they might have to turn off power if they are fixing something. That would be normal.

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
I am headed there tomorrow to pick up my wife at the airport. Was thinking to make a beach day of it if there is any beach left. Does anyone have a recommendation of either a free public beach or a resort with cheap day passes?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Too bad, great spot on the beach for fresh fish. I went there often.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Did you see the photo I posted?

I'll double check with her and report back
ETA she was told by the owner that it was reopened but still a little bit messy. maybe someone in the area can confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
I'll double check with her and report back
ETA she was told by the owner that it was reopened but still a little bit messy. maybe someone in the area can confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sure looks like it was destroyed at least the roof was. but it was basically an outdoor restaurant, outdoor kitchen, so if they got rid of the roof or repaired it ,it could be back in business.