Any Gasoline stations open in Sosua today

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just tried to get some additional gasoline for a generator today in Cabarete after using it all up over night.
Both are closed.

Any stations open in Sosua today?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That's petrol to some :)?

Please let me know if any stations are open. In Cabarete both are closed today.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
That's petrol to some :)?

Please let me know if any stations are open. In Cabarete both are closed today.

Interesting.  Let me add to your sarcasm..........

Americans didn't like the word pavement, so changed it to sidewalk (to indicate that you need to walk on the side of the road)
Glasses?  They have to call them eyeglasses, just to emphasize where on the human body you put them.
Bin?  No it has to be called a waste paper basket.  To illustrate what kind of waste goes in it.
Horse riding?  No, far too vague.  Let's call it horseback riding.  After all, we need instructions on what part of the horse to sit on.

And yet they confuse one type of fuel with another.  Gas in it's gaseous form is a fuel.  Gas is also a liquid fuel in America.  Why?

My generator runs on gas.  And I had the forethought to top off all my tanks before the storm came.

Lack of prior planning Windy?  Shame on you!

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I don't know winde and sorry but I'm not going out to find out.

Can you syphon some out of your car? (your "friends" car?) Not a pleasant job but you may not have a choice.

I bought 400 gallons of diesel for my gen. a couple of days ago and she is happily sucking away on that for almost 24 hours now. It was over 5 days running 24/7 with Erma. I expect to run longer this time.

If I see and can get to my PN guys I'll ask them but slim chance of my seeing them.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016

Americans didn't like the word pavement, so changed it to sidewalk (to indicate that you need to walk on the side of the road)
Glasses?  They have to call them eyeglasses, just to emphasize where on the human body you put them.
Bin?  No it has to be called a waste paper basket.  To illustrate what kind of waste goes in it.
Horse riding?  No, far too vague.  Let's call it horseback riding.  After all, we need instructions on what part of the horse to sit on.

And yet they confuse one type of fuel with another.  Gas in it's gaseous form is a fuel.  Gas is also a liquid fuel in America.  Why?

My generator runs on gas.  And I had the forethought to top off all my tanks before the storm came.

Je je then wouldn't it just be "planning" no need for prior..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
can you guys leave smartypants language lessons for other occasions? thanks.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
windeguy may be off line, batteries dead. Can someone check if he is on the "chat" thing please?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I had the back up generator full with gasoline and a full five gallons of gasoline for my back up generator. My diesel generator failed, for which I have 10 gallons of fuel. Edenorte had a screw up well before Maria even arrived which depleted my gasoline supply substantially yesterday. The failure of the diesel generator might mean its demise. I will try to repair it myself.

In the USA gas and gasoline are the same. Diesel, Propane and natural gas are some other fuels along with kerosene. It just is what it is. I didn't come up with it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
windeguy may be off line, batteries dead. Can someone check if he is on the "chat" thing please?

I do not have the ability to chat. I have not lost power and might have enough fuel to last until tomorrow morning.

This storm is less than IRMA at my location up until this point. This should be about the worst of MARIA in Cabarete for the next two hours. Then it depends upon how much rain there is on the back side.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Sorry windeguy, I don't have much use for gasoline so I only have a 1 gallon container of the stuff. You're welcome to it if you need it.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Sorry windeguy, I don't have much use for gasoline so I only have a 1 gallon container of the stuff. You're welcome to it if you need it.

I might have 4 or so gallons of gasoline for my lawn mowers. You are welcome to it but getting it prob not worth it.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
In the past I found it more advantageous to use the generator to charge the batteries, and then use the inverter until the batteries get low again.

My 8 batteries would run 17+ hours, and only take 4 hours to charge with the 4 kw generator.

Oct 11, 2010
The Texaxo station is closed as well as the station going east on the south side of Rt. 5 after Ocean Village. The only gas station in Sosua that was open as of 3:00 pm was the station in Pueblo Nuevo (on the South
side of Rt. 5) about 1/4 mile past the entrance to Charamicos heading west towards Puerto Plata. The road up to that point was very clear up until about 4:00. Not sure if they are still open, I'm trying to make some calls to find out for sure.​

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In the past I found it more advantageous to use the generator to charge the batteries, and then use the inverter until the batteries get low again.

My 8 batteries would run 17+ hours, and only take 4 hours to charge with the 4 kw generator.

Of course that is what I do normally. Unfortunately, my currently working gasoline generator does not charge batteries as quickly as my diesel one would if it were working.