Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Purchasing an Invertor

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Purchasing an Invertor

Hello again! I'm in the market for a new invertor and would like advice. We have a generator that kicks in when the power goes off but it needs to rest periodically. I can manage without anything except my ceiling fans! I have one that has been repaired a couple of times but it evidently has died. Any advice? Simple, please. I have four batteries that I think will be good once the new one is working.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Trace invertor is the best.

3. Likes caribmike liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    Trace invertor is the best.
    TRACE as a company no longer exists. They were purchased by XANTREX quite some time ago and I think SCHNEIDER may now own XANTREX. SCHNEIDER makes some serious inverters.

I get my inverters from Megatone. Chinese copies of the old Trace DR series. Cheaper to buy a new unit than replace just the control board of an old TRACE unit. DR series actually did stand for Dominican Republic, the "Viet Nam" of inverter usage with some of the worst power in the world.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    I get my inverters from Megatone.
    When I bought my 3.5kw Mecgatone in 2010, people laughed.

Now 7 years later it has had not had one hiccup, 100% dependability and service.

I thought they were made in Moca. Some parts are sourced in China (as everything today seems to be) but engineered & built in the DR. I could be wrong.

That said, I also highly recommend Megatone. If I need to add another inverter no decision is necessary, it's Megatone.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

When I asked where the Megatone units were made, I was told China. I doubt they have a circuit board fab system in Moca.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

TRACE as a company no longer exists. They were purchased by XANTREX quite some time ago and I think SCHNEIDER may now own XANTREX. SCHNEIDER makes some serious inverters.

I get my inverters from Megatone. Chinese copies of the old Trace DR series. Cheaper to buy a new unit than replace just the control board of an old TRACE unit. DR series actually did stand for Dominican Republic, the "Viet Nam" of inverter usage with some of the worst power in the world.
    I am continually amazed at how much you know about dealing with the lack of electricity here. I knew it was bad but worst power in the world is way past bad. I think I know the answer but will ask anyway. Do you see it improving in the near future?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    I am continually amazed at how much you know about dealing with the lack of electricity here. I knew it was bad but worst power in the world is way past bad. I think I know the answer but will ask anyway. Do you see it improving in the near future?
    As long as the government continues to run the power distribution system for a region, there is little hope for improvement in that region. The people who run the EDE's are mental midgets put in place to hold jobs and do as little as possible. And I am being kind.

9. Likes zoomzx11 liked this post
    *** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

When I asked where the Megatone units were made, I was told China. I doubt they have a circuit board fab system in Moca.
    I was told circuit boards and some components were spec'd from China, but units assembled here.

First time conflicting info came from a company in the DR I'm sure.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Megatone - where to buy?

When we had Irma, the planta in our building killed my inverter. I have an Unesf (here the 5 KW model: http://americana.com.do/000001021544.html) since 5 years.

I was so mad and wanted to replace for Trace. Yet my electrician (he works at Presidente and is responsible for all regarding electricity there and really good) said not needed it is a very good inverter, keep it. And he fixed it (new tarjeta). It has 1.5 KW (using it w/ 4 batteries) and he says it is heavy like others with 3.5 kw which indicates it has good transformators (?).

I am not an expert. But besides planta killing it I never had problems with it in years.
    Last edited by caribmike; 09-22-2017 at 12:58 PM.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If running your ceiling fans is important, then I would try and look for a pure sine wave inverter.

They are more costly than the standard modified sine wave inverters for the reason that they produce a smoother AC supply. The benefits include higher efficiency and quiet running electric motors.  When a ceiling fan is running on a modified sine wave, they hum quite a lot which is transmitted through the blades.

With a pure sine wave inverter, it is barely noticeable that it is running.

13. Likes jd426, malko, cavok, orlando44 liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast