Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Purchasing an Invertor

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    A golf cart battery like 6v deep cycle batteries we use in the DR have an average life of 550 cycles to 50% discharge. The deeper the discharge, the fewer cycles of life.

But the deeper the discharge, the higher amperage it can absorb on charging, the hotter the plates can get and eventually warp...causing a shorted cell and total death.
    Where I live has gone from two discharges to 50% or 60% per day to one such discharge per day based upon the current rationed programmed outages by Edenorte. Next year, I hope, the batteries will only be for emergency use.

Ambient temperature, charge rate, charge profile, and depth of discharge all have an impact on battery life.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I will add to the reason I get fairly good battery life is that the grid performance has improved considerably over time.  Outages are fewer and shorter.  I vary rarely deplete my batteries to the point that the inverter shuts off.

Another reason my batteries last is because my inverter has a sophisticated charging program, which can be configured to the type of batteries in the bank.  It also has a temperature probe that you stick to one of the batteries.  This ensures that the batteries do not boil.

I also do an EQ charge once every two months.  This put an increased voltage into the batteries, but a lower current.  The higher voltage is to remove the build up of sulfate on the plates.

3. Likes cobraboy liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your help. I purchased the Megatone Wave Lite model 2524C1ES, which is good to 2500 watts. The office of Gruka Electronics in Puerto Plata on 27 de Febrero was very helpful. They said to be sure my batteries would hold a charge before hooking it up. The electrician will check that, or at least I've asked him to. The cost was RD$10,500 cash for your reference. Thanks again!

5. Likes windeguy, cobraboy liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Oops! Looks like I need four new batteries too. I bought the Trojan Reds last time so I'll do it again. They lasted more than 5 years. Any ideas on the best price for them? I think I only paid 5500 pesos per battery five years ago. What can I expect now? Will they be cheaper in Santiago? Or are they priced about the same everywhere? Thanks!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

For the Trojan T 105 red batteries expect to pay about $150 US or 47.5 X 150 = 7,125 $RD. Maybe a couple of hundred pesos less.

8. Likes judypdr liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    For the Trojan T 105 red batteries expect to pay about $150 US or 47.5 X 150 = 7,125 $RD. Maybe a couple of hundred pesos less.
    Thanks again...So they are really about the same price, just more pesos to the dollar 47.5 vs 37 when I bought them last!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by judypdr View Post
    Thanks again...So they are really about the same price, just more pesos to the dollar 47.5 vs 37 when I bought them last!
    That is correct. And they are about that same price in the US. One of the few items that isn't jacked up by another 30% or 40% when sold here.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

What about a small genset? Please correct me, but I need 220V... can that be run with inversor and batteries?
    I thought it could not so I thought a small genset to run 220V and of course run everything else in the house would be useful.
    I had a Kubota on the sailboat. Cant remember size. What brand/size recommended and availability in POP or STI?
    Note: I still dont have 220V from Nadanorte, 1 line is down and we are the last house at the end...they are giving us the finger since Irma!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Neargale View Post
    What about a small genset? Please correct me, but I need 220V... can that be run with inversor and batteries?
    I thought it could not so I thought a small genset to run 220V and of course run everything else in the house would be useful.
    I had a Kubota on the sailboat. Cant remember size. What brand/size recommended and availability in POP or STI?
    Note: I still dont have 220V from Nadanorte, 1 line is down and we are the last house at the end...they are giving us the finger since Irma!
    Small gensets can have a 220v circuit. Our 4kw does.

13. Likes Neargale liked this post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456