Purchasing an Invertor

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Hello again! I'm in the market for a new invertor and would like advice. We have a generator that kicks in when the power goes off but it needs to rest periodically. I can manage without anything except my ceiling fans! I have one that has been repaired a couple of times but it evidently has died. Any advice? Simple, please. I have four batteries that I think will be good once the new one is working.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Trace invertor is the best.

TRACE as a company no longer exists. They were purchased by XANTREX quite some time ago and I think SCHNEIDER may now own XANTREX. SCHNEIDER makes some serious inverters.

I get my inverters from Megatone. Chinese copies of the old Trace DR series. Cheaper to buy a new unit than replace just the control board of an old TRACE unit. DR series actually did stand for Dominican Republic, the "Viet Nam" of inverter usage with some of the worst power in the world.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I get my inverters from Megatone.
When I bought my 3.5kw Mecgatone in 2010, people laughed.

Now 7 years later it has had not had one hiccup, 100% dependability and service.

I thought they were made in Moca. Some parts are sourced in China (as everything today seems to be) but engineered & built in the DR. I could be wrong.

That said, I also highly recommend Megatone. If I need to add another inverter no decision is necessary, it's Megatone.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When I asked where the Megatone units were made, I was told China. I doubt they have a circuit board fab system in Moca.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
TRACE as a company no longer exists. They were purchased by XANTREX quite some time ago and I think SCHNEIDER may now own XANTREX. SCHNEIDER makes some serious inverters.

I get my inverters from Megatone. Chinese copies of the old Trace DR series. Cheaper to buy a new unit than replace just the control board of an old TRACE unit. DR series actually did stand for Dominican Republic, the "Viet Nam" of inverter usage with some of the worst power in the world.

I am continually amazed at how much you know about dealing with the lack of electricity here. I knew it was bad but worst power in the world is way past bad. I think I know the answer but will ask anyway. Do you see it improving in the near future?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am continually amazed at how much you know about dealing with the lack of electricity here. I knew it was bad but worst power in the world is way past bad. I think I know the answer but will ask anyway. Do you see it improving in the near future?

As long as the government continues to run the power distribution system for a region, there is little hope for improvement in that region. The people who run the EDE's are mental midgets put in place to hold jobs and do as little as possible. And I am being kind.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
When I asked where the Megatone units were made, I was told China. I doubt they have a circuit board fab system in Moca.
I was told circuit boards and some components were spec'd from China, but units assembled here.

First time conflicting info came from a company in the DR I'm sure.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Megatone - where to buy?

When we had Irma, the planta in our building killed my inverter. I have an Unesf (here the 5 KW model: http://americana.com.do/000001021544.html) since 5 years.

I was so mad and wanted to replace for Trace. Yet my electrician (he works at Presidente and is responsible for all regarding electricity there and really good) said not needed it is a very good inverter, keep it. And he fixed it (new tarjeta). It has 1.5 KW (using it w/ 4 batteries) and he says it is heavy like others with 3.5 kw which indicates it has good transformators (?).

I am not an expert. But besides planta killing it I never had problems with it in years.

Last edited:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
If running your ceiling fans is important, then I would try and look for a pure sine wave inverter.

They are more costly than the standard modified sine wave inverters for the reason that they produce a smoother AC supply. The benefits include higher efficiency and quiet running electric motors.  When a ceiling fan is running on a modified sine wave, they hum quite a lot which is transmitted through the blades.

With a pure sine wave inverter, it is barely noticeable that it is running.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
My one supports 3 of the 6 KDK ceiling fans we have installed when power is gone and they hum which drives me nuts. Did not know that withn the sine wave and running smoother. Thanks beeza ! :)

How do I know what brand is sine wave or what model one has to look for?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My one supports 3 of the 6 KDK ceiling fans we have installed when power is gone and they hum which drives me nuts. Did not know that withn the sine wave and running smoother. Thanks beeza ! :)

How do I know what brand is sine wave or what model one has to look for?

MEGATONE does offer sine wave models. Be careful you don't get another "modified since wave" model since it will be the same as what you do have.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Megatone - where to buy?
Their website: Megatone

They have several stores including Puerto Plata.

Megatone has expanded their product offerings. I see they also now have sine wave inverters. Generally sine wave inverters are much more expensive.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Their website: Megatone

They have several stores including Puerto Plata.

Megatone has expanded their product offerings. I see they also now have sine wave inverters. Generally sine wave inverters are much more expensive.

That's a lot of info. I'm going to Santiago on Wednesday. Any chance you could recommend one or two models? Not sure I want to spend the money for a sine wave one...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That's a lot of info. I'm going to Santiago on Wednesday. Any chance you could recommend one or two models? Not sure I want to spend the money for a sine wave one...

A Wave Lite is cheapest with no external controls to adjust, next is a Wave Platinum and has external controls to adjust.
Then you just select the wattage capacity you need. Neither are sine wave models.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I have the Wave Platinum 3624 (3.6kw output, 24v input.)

Your needs may vary. Determine your highest average 120v. wattage use and add some cushion. Our a/c, pool and cistern pumps and water heater are all 240v and are not connected to the inverter.

If you feel like spending more money, get the sine inverter. It's a better unit if you need it.

Make sure your entire electrical system is properly grounded.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Outback makes some good stuff too

Wellll. I do a little bit more then ceiling fans. And I really don't like Edenorte. My old Xantrax was giving out and since the company is no longer it was not worth a rebuild. I had some solar panels and had been pleased.

It was time to upgrade.

Upped my solar alot and added another Outback controller. Then went full ahead with this:

http://www.outbackpower.com/outback...ers/item/radian-series-gs8048?category_id=529

Plus all the bells and whistles that I could add. All said and done, I very seldom use Edenorte and run 120/240 pool pump, well, some AC ... everything including a separate full apt.

Several distributors for Outback and I've been very pleased with service and pricing. I did the import and installation myself and saved over U.S. $5K from the best local Dominican Quote. Payback in less then 6 years baseed on past Edenorte hiked up bills. I don't run out of power. Inverter/solar/generator/.... then them IF absolutely needed. Everything automatic after lots of programming... over and over but got the way I want it and works great.

Outback makes smaller inverters too.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Outback does make good stuff. The OP will certainly not like be paying the price of an Outback unit. And hopefully there is someone in the DR that is able to repair the Outback units if they fail. From what I could see, a 2 kW Outback inverter/charger is about $1,500 US. The Megatone units are in the $300 to $400 range. I realize we are talking apples and oranges, but the Megatone unit works OK for me since I have no solar.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was told circuit boards and some components were spec'd from China, but units assembled here.

First time conflicting info came from a company in the DR I'm sure.

That I could believe. I know that assembling from components is considering "making", but I think of it as more like "assembling".

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
random_photo_golden_rule.html

Last edited by a moderator: