Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: American Couple Arrested in Cabarete

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fulano2 View Post
    What would you have written if they would have drowned then? 
    If they drowned, the family should sue the police for not arresting them beforehand

2. Likes trustquest liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bienamor View Post
    Pretty sure that their Dominican companion knew what they were doing was illegal. So no excuse except for "sorry I'm stupid and did not know I should not be in the water during a hurricane". The law was all over the news and the dominican grapevine plus the COE sent it out to all smart phone via orange an claro.
    I call foul, i live here and was out in the hurricane at the beach having a look, no signs or notices or talk of being prosecuted if step foot in the ocean, its the usual scam. if they want or care to catch law breakers, they can find that on the street every minute. This is exactly what it looks like.

4. Likes pelaut, Juan Bosch liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Norberto61 View Post
    Good- when jackasses do stupid **** like this - someone has to try to save them or at least retrieve the bodies - taking away resources from the rest of the people during a potential emergency so you can brag to your friends that you swam in a hurricane is ****ing selfish as well as stupid - hope they get jail- then drown
    Yeah, thats what the police were thinking when they came to the rescue. lol

6. Likes Juan Bosch liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monfongo View Post
    Frank !2@ seems to be the only one that has a clue what their talking about .

I find myself in the AWKWARD Position of agreeing with this statement & Frank12 100%

8. Likes Bystander, southern, pelaut, CristoRey liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't swim in the water, but you can drive after consuming 20 beers and stopping at the intersection to pee pee in the street.

10. Likes jd426, RDKNIGHT, frank12, ROLLOUT liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Expat13 View Post
    I call foul, i live here and was out in the hurricane at the beach having a look, no signs or notices or talk of being prosecuted if step foot in the ocean, its the usual scam. if they want or care to catch law breakers, they can find that on the street every minute. This is exactly what it looks like.
    What did you and the others agreeing with f12 think when they received the notice from COE that the beaches and rivers were closed? also was reported on all the news channels.

I know here is SD that the police were monitoring the Malecon while it was closed.

12. Likes trustquest liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see telling them to get out of the water, But arresting them is un-called for. They should have done like they did in Florida. If you go out in the storm you do so at your own peril, don't call for help.

14. Likes Expat-in-Cabarete, jd426 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that arresting them might be a bit much, but if they where told not to before hand then that another thing. If they had drowned would their family blame them or Dominican paradise?!?

16. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bienamor View Post
    What did you and the others agreeing with f12 think when they received the notice from COE that the beaches and rivers were closed? also was reported on all the news channels.

I know here is SD that the police were monitoring the Malecon while it was closed.
    Well, we don't know if they were residents or tourists. Although we spend many months in DR each year, we don't subscribe to COE notices, which I assume are in Spanish, which not all Americans would comprehend anyway. Common sense would dictate to most people...stay out of the water. I just think it's a little overboard to arrest them. Full disclosure: Mr. AE disagrees with me.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

18. Likes Juan Bosch liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Well, we don't know if they were residents or tourists. Although we spend many months in DR each year, we don't subscribe to COE notices, which I assume are in Spanish, which not all Americans would comprehend anyway. Common sense would dictate to most people...stay out of the water. I just think it's a little overboard to arrest them. Full disclosure: Mr. AE disagrees with me.
    I don't subscribe to COE notices either, they just show up on my phone! Orange must send out to all their customers. But their Dominican companion would have known. Agree with Mr. AE.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast