Centennial bridge falls in Montellano when truck loaded with asphalt collapsed it

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Centennial bridge falls in Montellano when truck loaded with asphalt collapsed the viaduct overweight

Centennial-bridge-falls-in-Montellano-when-truck-loaded-with-asphalt-collapsed-the-viaduct-overweight.jpg

PUERTO PLATA.- The centennial metal bridge connecting Montellano to Pancho Mateo collapsed this weekend due to the tremendous irresponsibility and extreme temerity of the driver of an asphalt loaded truck.

This bridge, which had been built on the Camu River for 120 years and was inaugurated on August 16, 1897, did not support the weight of several tons of a dump truck carrying more 21 cubic meters of asphalt, collapsing before the astonished eyes of the locals.

Said viaduct that was an authentic relic and that many citizens opined had to be restored to leave it alone for the pedestrian use and of light vehicles, it also communicated to the rural communities of Montellano as they are: Mozoví, Los Perez, Arroyo de Leche, Severé, Los Gómez, among others.

As soon as the bridge collapsed, the driver of the truck loaded with asphalt was aided by people residing in the vicinity, leaving unscathed, while several local authorities were present, who observed the collapsed metal structure inside the river.

The provincial governor, Iván Rivera, after inspecting the collapsed viaduct, ordered an alternate route so residents in the surrounding communities could cross the Camú River, while the Montellano municipal mayor, Hector Rojas (Chino), said he had reported the vulnerable conditions of that bridge to public works authorities, but they never paid attention to it.

Source: Puerto Plata Digital

Sep 20, 2017

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
All the fun with a iron bridge with no maintenance..I hope they build a glorious replacement bridge with an arch that will last for thousands of years . maybe of sandstone

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Got her out. I would have suggested dumping the rest of the load on the bridge to lighten the load, but from the looks of the pile it looks like they pulled it out loaded. Didn't want to waste any more asphalt I guess.

DKQwPdHVwAEJp1V.jpg

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Got her out. I would have suggested dumping the rest of the load on the bridge to lighten the load, but from the looks of the pile it looks like they pulled it out loaded. Didn't want to waste any more asphalt I guess.

DKQwPdHVwAEJp1V.jpg

Heavy vehicles were not supposed to cross.
However the bridge collapsed because it was structurally unsound and received no maintenance by the government.
The people living on the other side in Pancho Mateo depend on it for their daily commute, shopping and getting kids to school.
People ford the river at low water levels but it is dangerous.
The other way is a long way around. 

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Not the first box bridge to fall into the Camu river. The last truck driver was not so lucky and unfortunatly drowned. You cant blame the truck driver as thousand of heavy trucks have passed over the years.  These box bridges were built by the Brits.  Over time their foundations wash away and they tumble.  Recent heavy rains precipitated the event

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Thanks for the update. The truck that killed the old bridge had 21 cubic meters of asphalt. I'm betting this one can take at least double that before it fails.