Need a Water Well Drilled

Status
Not open for further replies.

viguy007

Nov 25, 2012
I live in Rio Verde located between La Vega and Moca. My biggest problem is the lack of a steady reliable supply of water. I would like to drill a water well to fix this problem. Please can anyone tell me about the approximate cost and recommend someone to do this job. Is there anything I should know and take into account before I do this, including the name of a good plumber to attach it to my homes water system. Thank you.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Cost depends on depth of the well.  When we researched costs in Ocoa, it was astronomical because we were at such a high elevation, drillers charge by the foot.  We added a cistern too.  Several variables 

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In addition to the depth of the well affecting cost, the depth also dictates the strength of the pump needed to move the water from the well to the house. You will probably need 220V to drive the well pump. Consider a cistern at the same time. Much cheaper and easier on the well pump to have it come on once for a longer period of time to fill a cistern than to come on every time you flush a toilet to refill the pressure tank.

If you have lots of wind where you are and are not in the middle of town, you could possibly consider a wind driven mechanical pump to draw water from the well to the cistern. A turbine tower is a great place to attach a cell signal booster, outdoor wifi extender and a means to generate some supplemental electricity generation to keep inverter batteries charged as you can afford to do so.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I live in Rio Verde located between La Vega and Moca. My biggest problem is the lack of a steady reliable supply of water. I would like to drill a water well to fix this problem. Please can anyone tell me about the approximate cost and recommend someone to do this job. Is there anything I should know and take into account before I do this, including the name of a good plumber to attach it to my homes water system. Thank you.

Ours is 120 feet, cost 80.000 pesos with pipes and 220 pump.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You should have plenty of water, just not pressure water.

Build a big cistern and have a constant-pressure tank and pump to your tinaco.

Once the cistern fills---it may take a few days---you'll have all the water you need, except in a severe drought. And even then, your well could be a dry hole.

Think of building a swimming pool, and consider it a water reservoir like your cistern. In the serious drought we had two years ago, when the rivers ran dry and the town out of water, we were able to pump water from the pool to the cistern. We ended up using half the pool water like that.

That said, I think Scotty Tielhaber in Cabrera & Sosua has a drill rig. He's all healed now and may be able to help. Contact him on FayBoo.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
In SD I had one drilled in the summer at my inlaws school. Drilling about 40000 pesos, pump plus installing the pump another 40000.

Also had a cisterna made, 60,000 pesos mano de obra. 

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Had a well put in a few years ago since Corriplata had no water for over a year that extended to over 5 years.

1. No driller will guarantee the quality of the water. In our case lots of salt so had filters, ultra violet and then RO units before our cistern. Have a PMM tester, cheap to buy and easy to use, and have collection containers to take to your "local" water testing lab. Know what you are getting. Putting really bad water into your cistern may cause more problems.

2. Get a permit? A drilling permit covers some of the paper work if your water company comes sniffing around and then demands payment due to they own your water from your well. At least you have some paper and can tell them to go find the permit on their own without you providing anything. NEVER say that you have a well. (drill the well on Sunday and then hid it.) ((I didn't say that.))

3. Well owners are to pay to the main office in S.D. a yearly fee that takes away the local water company problem. After over 7 years I have yet to find that dept. in S.D.

4. The wiring for a pump can be very expensive so put the well as close to the cistern as possible. This can also lower the size of your well pump.

5. Make sure that the pump is installed properly. A plastic coated metal cable should be the main holding/pull up for the pump. Your pump will fail and hauling it up by hose/pipe/elec. wires is not a good idea. Make sure that the system IS grounded.

6. IF your elec. IS stable then a min. 120 gal. tank would be needed for direct on demand use. I suggest the cistern is a better way to go but you have options.

I noted that others use their pools as a water source. It Works.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As I recall, the cost per foot of drilling is pretty well standard...
The pump depends on the depth and volume required.

My pump was about $1000US .... maybe
Well was deep.... but turned out to be false.
Some will guarantee water.... all water here is hard.... HARD

There is a house purification system .... ECOSERVE in Sosua/ Cabarete... about $2000US 
Ultraviolet system.... drink all the tap water you want.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ask around about applying for a permit..... Mr. AE 'thinks' he heard there is some sort of moratorium on digging new wells, as the government thinks there are too many wells and may dry up the underground water. {????????} Maybe it was just talk by the government at one point, and was never implemented. Might be better to just do it??

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

There is a house purification system .... ECOSERVE in Sosua/ Cabarete... about $2000US 
Our neighbor drilled a well with two guys grinding on a bit with a heavy weight on top like mules at a mill. Pure manual human labor. No machines.

They struck mud at 100'.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016

I've had water purification systems for over 20 years for whole house drink from the tap. No problems.

Put the well in and changed the situation.

I tried to work with your recommended company and............ Kicked them out after 6 months. Would NEVER recommend them. NEVER!

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

A 1000 dollar pump? Are you sure? The most powerfull at Bellon is about 20.000 pesos.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Ask around about applying for a permit..... Mr. AE 'thinks' he heard there is some sort of moratorium on digging new wells, as the government thinks there are too many wells and may dry up the underground water. {????????} Maybe it was just talk by the government at one point, and was never implemented. Might be better to just do it??

In the campo there is no need for that, nobody cares.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I've had water purification systems for over 20 years for whole house drink from the tap. No problems.

Put the well in and changed the situation.

I tried to work with your recommended company and............ Kicked them out after 6 months. Would NEVER recommend them. NEVER!

I am happy enough..... but I don't know any better, I guess

Feel free to suggest others... I threw out the only one I know

PS
I ahve also said nice things about CMC.... my experiences were good... maybe not all

viguy007

Nov 25, 2012
I would like to say Thank you to all who responded. I was able to go local thru a friend of a friend and able to get a good price. Once again it proves nothing beats personal relationships.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I would like to say Thank you to all who responded. I was able to go local thru a friend of a friend and able to get a good price. Once again it proves nothing beats personal relationships.

Great.

DR1 comes through once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.