Work Visa

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
I have a friend who wants to try and get a job on contract here in Canada. She's been working in Argentina in the last year but with all their problems returned to the DR. When she was younger she lived in NY and has been to Texas. She is now 27 years old. How difficult would it be for her to come here on contract to work? What would I need to do on my end to help her. I have read the website on Dominican Visas but it didn't help me much in terms on working here on contract or for experience.

Thanks in advance

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You need to check out sources within Canada for more information on a Dominican working or living in Canada.

Christine_deb

Mar 6, 2002
I think that if she has established a job contract with a reputable company it should not be that difficult. However, I work for the government and know from experience with my job that it is fairly difficult for a person to come on there own, ie: minimum 6 month waiting periods, I am also aware of people that have been waiting for over two years simply for a visitors visa. Check out www.gc.ca

Best of luck

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks. I know the difficulty with a vistors visa, I thought if she had an employer here willing to hire her it might have been easier. I don't think in Argentina she needed a Visa to go there and this is what I am trying to explain to her.
I will check out the website.

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
Can your friend still get into the US legally? I live on the US/Canada border and was told by Canadian Immigrations that if a Dominican has an I-151 stamp (I think that is the number) then they can cross the border like a US citizen. They would still need to get a work visa if they plan on living there and working.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
what is her profession

Jerry said:
Can your friend still get into the US legally? I live on the US/Canada border and was told by Canadian Immigrations that if a Dominican has an I-151 stamp (I think that is the number) then they can cross the border like a US citizen. They would still need to get a work visa if they plan on living there and working.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
what is her profession

If you go to the government of Canada site on Citizenship and Immigration they have a list of professions that they are short of in Canada, if she fits into one of these professions her chances of getting work her are much better.

Jerry said:

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
She said she can't come to the US without a Visa as she was considered a minor when she first came. But I thought it would be easier to get another since she's lived there before? I went to overseas jobs.com and checked out Canada and there was one for a beverage server up in Muskoka! Which is really not that bad since she used to work at a hotel before. In SA she taught salsa/merengue lessons but studied as a social worker in the DR. The position in Muskoka already wants them to have their work visa, but reading from the Canadian embassy website, they won't consider issuing a work visa without a job. I would think the companies would help people from abroad obtain a tempory visa and this job would be perfect as it's only from May-October.

Thanks again.